blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just had some work done by a local plasterer who i have used lots of times i wanted my l room skimmed it had previously been painted under paper which i stripped off the plasterer painted the wall with a waterbased undercoat as the paint was not sound according to him now i have painted it it has lifted off wall and is hollow behind he is coming back to see it but i need some ammo so he cant fob me off cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you saying your paint has lifted the skim off the wall? Something has obviously gone wrong; if the original plaster was "blown" & he’s just skimmed over it, no excuses unless he warned you of the potential problems; if the base was OK, it sounds like a preparation problem. Either way, if he’s done OK work for you before he should own up to it; mistakes happen to the best of us!

if the first layer of paint wasn't sound that means it not stuck to the wall or it may come off the wall, painting over unsound paint is not going to make any difference, its not going to give you a sound base to plaster on, if its not sound it should all should have come off, laborious task i know but its the only way to get a good result, scrape all unsound paint off then prime with blue grit, wba, or bond it

no richard c the original wall was ok, just a bit rough hence getting it skimmed the skim has just lifted out from wall and when u tap it , it moves in and out a bit and sounds hollow, how should old flakey painted walls be prepared cheers

Sponsored Links
how should old flakey painted walls be prepared cheers
By totally removing the flakey bits; as Steve says, plaster skim will only stick the the surface it's applied to, if that surface isn't stuck to the wall beneath, neither will the plaster, it will fall off. Sounss like your spread had dropped off big time with inadequate prep!

i skimmed a couple of walls in my hallway the other month it had that base paint on it from polycell that is used to cover cracks, it was just sitting on the wall and in some places you could peel large arears off with your hand i ended up scraping about 40m2 off took me ages, but i would rather do that than have a failure

guys thanks for info it is much apprieciated richard c sorry for not reading ur reply properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back