Blown Tyrolean Render Patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post so please bear with me. I need some help with what I think is blown render.

We had a new kitchen fitted last year, all went well but we found a leaking water pipe with pools of water on the floor under some of the old cabinets. We let it dry out and replaced the pipes before the new kitchen was fitted.

For the last 6 months a corner of the kitchen has had a damp wall above the corner units, paint won't hold to it at all. On rainy days the wall becomes noticeably wet and more and more paint flakes off.

I checked the render on the back of the wall and the top layer peeled off in places. The wall now has a hollow sound to it, in around a 2-3 meter area. This area directly backs onto the damp patch in the kitchen. The rest of the wall is solid.

Do I just need to pull all of this hollow render off? Using say an SDS drill? I imagine the render has become loose from the brickwork and water is between the two... however I don't know enough about render to know this for sure.

I have a plasterer who can re-render (Tyrolean) the patch for me. So would it just be a case of letting the brickwork dry out for a few weeks?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why not post pics of that kit corner from inside the kit and outside - please show detail & context?

do you still have access to the previously leaking pipe, & behind the units in that position?
was the leaking pipe high or low?

do you have a solid floor?
are the kit walls cavity or solid?

Sorry for the delay on this, first day I've been home in the daylight to get some photos.

We don't have access to the leaking pipe anymore, it was the water meter that was leaking, this has now been relocated to under the sink and is not leaking. All of the pipework was replaced when the new kitchen was fitted. The pipe was low, right in the bottom corner of the kitchen.

The floors are solid. I believe the walls are solid.

I've attached photos, the inside wall is slightly damp again today as it's been raining.
The outer wall is mostly hollow around the bottom 30-60cm from the corner in both directions, after that it's hollow again. It's hollow from the black painted line at the bottom to about a metre up. The patches are from where I've pulled off the loose outer render, I imagine I need to get it off all the way to the brick though?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_419a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_419a.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 331
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4198.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4198.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 350
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4196.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4196.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 348
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4194.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4194.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 331
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4193.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4193.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 326
1. at the outside corner - gulley side: remove the render back to brick from ground level to fascia board and as far back as seems needed. check the corner bead for rust?
same applies to any other area of rendered wall.
2. temp remove a length of the rainwater pipe.
3. if the paint isn't exterior paint then it all has to come off.
4. the best practice way to remove the internal damp stains at the work top/inside corner is to hack off all affected plaster.
you might have boith penetrating and rising damp?
5. units and back splash would have to be removed for a thorough job. your call?
6. the black top yard surface has raised the ground level - maybe any existing DPC has been bridged?
7. the gulley lacks a grid - rodents can exit the gulley.

8. after hacking off - render with sand and lime 3:1 mix with a limelite skim on the interior render.
9. remedial Tyrolean can be patched on. stop all render 50mm from ground contact.
10. is the kit floor higher than the outside ground level?

use the search button & the Related Threads below:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

Do I need to remove the render all the way up to the fascia board? The hollow render is only about a meter or two from the ground level, would this be adequate?
The paint is exterior paint so should be good.

I'm going to allow the wall to dry out once the render is off. I'm hoping that with a dehumidifier inside I will be able to dry out the internal walls without having to dismantle our brand new kitchen.

Do you know roughly how long I should allow the bricks to dry out before I get a plasterer in to re-render the outside wall?

The kit floor is around the same level as the outside ground level.

Was this damp here before you fitted the kitchen? Looks like a fair bit of water, check for other water leaks, it may be a new leak somewhere else and water is travelling? Poss related to water meter?

The wall was damp with mould before the kitchen was fitted (found when removing the old kitchen). The leak was found and resolved, the kitchen dried out and then the walls were treated (interior) with tanking slurry before they were plastered.

The plaster inside seems good, its not hollow and drys out most of the time. It's only when it rains that it becomes damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back