Blue flash followed by a brown stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pulled out my Ikea Extractor hood tonight and got a fright. A bright blue flash and pop then a completely dead cooker hood (no lights or fan). Was going to just return it but after digging out the receipt its 14 months old. So checked the 5A fuse in plug and it was blown. Replaced it and fan came on but no lights. Checked lamps and found this.

Notice the 2 pin holes in the bases. Could they have worked loose in transit and been arcing a bit every time I have used it and eventually burned through? How would this make the lamps pop at the same time?
Could there be some other dangerous fault?
Do you think its safe just to change the lamps?
A bit nervous because you actually turn it on by pulling out the stainless steel front :eek:

Sponsored Links
That is the best post title I've seen on here. :D Well done! :LOL:

Unfortunately I can't help with your questions.

Just took another picture of the fitting because it does not look like a lamp not fully screwed in could cause a bad connection on the SIDE of the Edison. Looks like is is sprung to me.
Any ideas?

Not a bad for a picture taken through a 30mm inspection mirror. :D

Don't think it is connected because this happened at the instant I switched it on but there was a thunder storm at the time.
Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It's a weird one mate, it looks like there's been a short through the base of both bulbs, thus causing the pin-holes. Sorry I can't help, but I've not got a clue what's happened here. :cry:

I've had power issues with Ikea, my main light blows lights regular, then the bulbs aren't available, but still blow.

So I researched this, and lots of others said the same, Ikea electronics are bad.

I was replacing a light bulb in my house once. There was a big flash quickly followed by a brown stain. But the brown stain wasn't anywhere near the light bulb. ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

I was replacing a light bulb in my house once. There was a big flash quickly followed by a brown stain. But the brown stain wasn't anywhere near the light bulb. ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's brilliant mate, really funny! Because the OP of course meant that there was literally brown stainage around the light fittings, but you made a joke out of it about soiling yourself with fear! The OP missed a trick there! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back