Changed Downlights and now fuse blows when turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have just had a call from a friend who has asked for some help. 3 of his 5 downlights in his bathroom had blown and he couldn't get the lamps out. The downlights were old so he decided to buy 5 new ones. When finished he turned them on and the fuse blew. He is confident he wired them like for like but when he told me that one of the cables had some red tape I asked him to email me a photo.

GALLERY]

I know its difficult not knowing the full story (he lives 25 miles away so I couldn't just pop over) but this is what he told me.

There is a false ceiling and he thinks (?) the original ceiling rose has been replaced by a JB.

There is an extractor fan (no isolator), the extractor fan works off its own pull switch but this only works when the lights are switched on.

He thinks the light in the photo is the first one in the chain but I can't understand why both cables have red tape as one should be going to the next light, and also if the other one is a switched live it shouldn't be going direct to the light should it?
He also says there are no more cables inside the false ceiling.

I know there is scant info here and I said I will drive over in the morning but if anyone has any suggestions to what may have gone on I would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
OK, he can start by removing all traces of any tape anywhere near the lamp.

Theres no need for it at all, except the red identification on a black core to denote live.

Well, however that circuit has been arranged, how it's been connected in that photo is wrong.

Those cables are either:

A feed in and a switch cable

OR

Two switched feeds (ie switched live & neutral in each cable, plus cpc.

But connecting both conductors from each cable to a terminal is almost certainly wrong.

:oops: Or, as RF sugests, they may be SELV feeds.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to ask if they were LV or ELV but I assume that the fact he didn't mention transformers meant that they weren't.

It looks (sounds) like a right mess. I will take my tester over in the morning and try and sort it out.

Thanks for the help/advice

Steve (aka crafty).

Are you the downlighter king or what?

thinking of installing some downlighters soon - terracotta pots you say?

I agree, needs a visit to sort.

BTW, the typing on the picture makes a lot of assumptions. It says neutral with red tape but it may not be.
At this stage, ie without any real info, its a black wire with red tape.

Steve (aka crafty).

Are you the downlighter king or what?

thinking of installing some downlighters soon - terracotta pots you say?
Only to keep insulation at bay.

Consider low energy versions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back