Wiring for low voltage downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting a false ceiling in my bedroom with 6 LV downlighters.

My electrician has let me down and I want to board the ceiling, so that I can tape and joint it.

If I cut the holes out for the lights and loop a bit of cable for each light through the holes leaving one board out for the main connection am I right to assume that the works can be done from under the ceiling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In theory, yes.
I assume you will be having one transformer for each light fitting?

Where is the 'main connection' situated.? Dont forget that you must be able to access it either from below or above (eg from the loft)

In theory, yes.
I assume you will be having one transformer for each light fitting?

Where is the 'main connection' situated.? Dont forget that you must be able to access it either from below or above (eg from the loft)

It is the existing triple spotlight in the centre of the room. I was just going to leave the plasterboard out where the light is, so he could connect up from there.

Sponsored Links
But how will you access the junction once the sparky has done his bit and the ceiling has all plastered over?

Excuse my ignorance but why would I need to access the junction once everything is finished?

The screws can become loose leading to resistive joints which create heat and the junction box gets hot and may even crumble into dust.

Can even set near by combustable material alight.

Because any connection that is made by a screwed terminal must be accessible. That is stated in wiring regulations.

The reason is that, over time, connections of this type can become loose. If a fault develops the only way to get at it would be to dig a hole in the ceiling - assuming anyone knows or remembers it is there.

If you have an upstairs bedroom with a loft above then the connections can be made there. Alternatively re-route the location for the lighting connections to be at the location of one of the downlights, a suitable sized terminal box (that can go thru the hole for the light) can then be used.

Ok, thanks that makes sense now but with regard to my initial question, assuming the sparks can get to one of the light holes from the plasterboard I leave out, he will be able to make the connection accessible?

His connection between the new & existing wiring - can that be made accessible?

Well the nearest LV light would be about 300mm from the connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back