How do I wire low voltage downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...I have installed a false ceiling in my bathroom, 2 inches below the original plasterboard.
I have cut out an area of 7inches in the original plasterboard directly above each of 5 x 20w low voltage downlights and removed all insulation above the bathroom.
I have one Holotronic HTM 105/230-240 transformer 35-105 W which I am assured is adequate for 5x20 w lamps.
The transformer has 3x2 connections eg. SEC / SEC / PRI
Each light has a seperate joint block with the trailing wire for the lamp.
I am useing the original pull cord.

Please...how do I wire the lights?

Many thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
you need to connect your transformer to the light switch via the "pri " connector then the lamps to " sec" & "sec", link two lamps to one connector & three to the other

Thanks JJ..that appeare straightforeward, may not be quite so clear when I'm in the loft but still....LoL

again thanks....Mike

[/quote]link two lamps to one connector & three to the other
Hello again JJ... do I link the lamps together before connecting to "sec" / "sec"? so I only have 2 wires into each "sec"

what wire would you advise for the 12v. side?

Sponsored Links
1.0mm or 1.5mm grey t&e will be ok, I think you will find it easier if you do all your connecting up in the bedroom after feedibg the wires down through the holes & leaving some length spare.Go from pull switch to first hole, connect to transformer pri connector, connect a cable to each sec connector, take one to first hole nearest to you & another from that hole to which ever you decide to do next, then connect lamps & push cables up into holes as you fit the lamps. Do the same from the other sec connector but this time loop to 3 lights. Once all the lamps are fitted then go into loft & tidy up the cables. Much easier.

Thanks JJ ....I think I have that...i'm a bit slow to grasp stuff,
I'm away for a week, doing job when I come back, If i'm stuck is it ok if I come back to you?

many thanks....Mike

Of course. If I am not around I am sure you will get any help you need.

jj4091 said:
you need to connect your transformer to the light switch via the "pri " connector then the lamps to " sec" & "sec", link two lamps to one connector & three to the other

What's going to happen if he attaches the tx to the light switch?

You have to word things carefully, as it is easy for written instructions to be taken literally.

You need to attach the primary side of the transformer to the wires originally feeding the existing lamp terminals.

securespark said:
jj4091 said:

What's going to happen if he attaches the tx to the light switch?

You have to word things carefully, as it is easy for written instructions to be taken literally.

You need to attach the primary side of the transformer to the wires originally feeding the existing lamp terminals.
I think you are splitting hairs, but ok.

Thanks Securespark...just seen this, dont yet know if it helps me further , not done the job yet...what does "tx" stand for?

regards...Mike

tx means transformer

although i have no idea why, since TX is also transmitter, and RX is receiver

breezer said:
tx means transformer

although i have no idea why, since TX is also transmitter, and RX is receiver

What ever happen to the word "tranny" or the germanic "trafo"

Or to split hairs SMPS ( switch mode power supply ) which is what the the "electronic transformers " for low voltage lighting are.

i had never heard of trafo untill some one posted about it the other day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back