Blum clip-on cabinet hinge dampers will not clip on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help me regarding fitting the Blum Soft Close buffer Ref: 973A0500
as appearing on the site below.

http://www.handle-emporium.co.uk/acatalog/Blum_Hinge_Retail_Packs.html

I had to take the door of the boiler enclosure to let the service engineer take the front casing off the boiler
and these dampers were clipped on to the hinges.

When I couldn't get them back on I started taking them off other hinges on the kitchen cabinets to find out how they were fixed. I took off more than 6 and now I cannot get them back on and feel like a right numpty.

I downloaded a pdf leaflet from Blum and it says to "Push forward and down on the front, then push down on the back." I have tried this and no way would they go on doing that! I have tried every conceivable way I can think of , and cannot get these things to clip on, yet they were fitting perfectly before I took them off!

This has got me really stumped, and I am not one for giving up easily :oops:

Sponsored Links
The small spring steel clip towards the front of teh damper can get slightly bent which will make it hard to get back on. Risk taking another off and take a look at this part and compare with teh ones that don't fit bend with a small pair of pliers if needed and try fitting again

Jason

Thank you Jason

Will have a go at this when the better half is clear of the kitchen and I can get a bit of peace, and report back how I get on :rolleyes:

Jason
I can't thank you enough!

I didn't even need to take one off. I just bent the spring steel fastener back slightly towards the retaining lugs on the damper without overdoing it, and they all went on without any trouble, AND ARE TOTALLY SECURE!!

You have solved a problem that I have been struggling with since Monday and was finding very frustrating.

Could I pick your brains again please?

Since I meddled with the door it is now flush on the closing face at the top but there is a gap at the bottom of over 1/4 of an inch (or as most people would say 6cm).

Could you help me with that please? :oops:

Sponsored Links
I'm not Jason but there are adjusting screws on the hinges to cover all eventualities, you may have to take the soft closer off again.

I'm just checking that it was a clip top hinge and you didn't have to use a screwdriver to take it off or replace it, if you did you might not have got it back on properly.

As chippy says if they are clip top and you have not fiddled with the screws then they should clip back on without any problems.

If you have played with the screws then the top of the door on the hinge side wants moving out to push the opposite bottom corner in. Or the bottom hinge side needs to go in to move the opposite top corner out, or a bit of both. The screw towards the back of the hinge is the one to turn to do this but don't move the door too close to the carcase so it rubs.

Jason

To tell the exact truth, it was the Worcester Bosch service engineer who took the door off, and I don't know how he went about it :eek:

All I know is he couldn't get it back on again and it was left lying on the floor for me to put back up after he was away

At the same time he could have refused to take the door off. He was there to service the boiler, so I can't complain:LOL:

I don't know what a clip top hinge is but I can ascertain that a Philips screwdriver was needed to get this door off!

Thanks to all l who answered my post. There's never been a time when I've not received a satisfactory outcome to anything I have been asking help for :D

If he unscrewed the mounting plate from the carcase it may have gone back on the wrong way round they have a "V" sgaped arrow that should point to the front.

A clip top hinge has a small lever at the back end of the hinge to release it from the mounting plate and "clips" back on. You can't get the Blumotion dampers to fit the screw on module(screw on) hinges so it sounds like he took the whole plate off.

Jason

Thanks once again Jason.

It is much appreciated :LOL:

I will paste and copy these replies and follow the instructions when I have another attempt to fix this door, and am sure I will get a satisfactory result ;)

The Worcester Bosch boilers used to have a front cover 12 mm thick that just lifted off, but with the new models it's a wrap around front that goes right to the back of the boiler. like the cheap way they make washing machines now also.

It's all to do with cheap production methods on the assembly lines :oops:

In having said that the kitchen installer and boiler installer must share the blame, as the boiler was put in before the kitchen cabinets :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back