Blum Clip on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to improve the closing of the doors in my kitchen by fitting dampers..B&Queue do a cheap nasty damper that sticks onto teh inside of teh door but even hercules can't press them in...nasty. However I note that Blum do a clip on damper and their reputation seems to be very good. it doesn't say on their web site but do they clip onto any standard concealed door hinges fitted to most kitchens ?

Sponsored Links
You need the appropriate Blum hinge, I think B&Q use Salice hinges not Blum.

The piston type dampers come in two types that look identical, Both can be fixed to the carcase with a suitable plate or they can be drilled into the edge of the carcase. One spec has a strong spring and is intended to be mounted towards the hinge side of the opening, the other softer sprung type goes on the side opposite the hinge, you may well have your B&Q ones in the wrong place if they can't be shut by the hinge springs.

Jason

Good point Jason. The B&Q ones seem impossible to close by hand, very stiff, but I have mounted them on the top panel of the wall cabinet..right near the hinge edge. Maybe its too close to the hinge and needs to be moved across a tad.

If I push the door without slamming it the damper just holds the door open...if you push it in a little more the door does gently close. I'll have a little play around

I'll dig out a link to the correct positioning of piston dampers tonight.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jason.....I did have visions of endlessly unsticking/unscrewing the damper and the wall unit falling apart from the stress

The B&Q instructions place the damper right next to the hinge but I don't think it gives the door enough room/momentum to "activate" the piston enough for the slow close to work properly.

The fact you say about unsticking the damper suggests you have the Salice "smove" ones, these should be close to the hinge side.

Your door may be a bit too close to the cabinet when closed so try moving it away a bit.

This is the smove details, not worth posting teh blum details as you don't have their dampers

http://www.smove.com/contenuti/file/Depliant_Smove2_uk_1.pdf

Jason

Thems the babies....thanks Jason. I have the grey one at the bottom of that pdf with the screw hole as well as double sided tape.

I'll give your advice a go....post later...thanks again

Slight improvement after widening the door gap but I think maybe the door hinges are a bit weak after 19 years of use....

I think I will go for some new hinges anyway. I guess Blum are favourite although the B&Q ones are good enough as I have used a couple elsewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back