Boarding a loft for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
400mm is a standard size in the UK. The 300, maybe 3m in length ??
You can also buy them as loose-fill loft insulation. I don't know where if you do live in chile but in the UK any diy stores or plumbing merchants will have them.

Sponsored Links
I wish I had thought of using 3 x 1" before I did my loft, it took me ages chopping out while perched on a joist.

I think it's the safest way because you cannot screw into any wiring providing the fixing screw is on the 3"x1". And it's also time saving !

if you are having problems with the insulation in terms of the sizing you have two options. You can cut down a roll, which is relativley easy to do while its still rolled with a knife or fine handsaw (accuraccy is obviously not too much of a problem) or you can use the loose fill insulation which is a bit more expensive but easier to fill. Work out the amount you need and ring around a few builders merchants, as most will do it at a good rate and deliver free. Have a look at places like wickes as they also do offers ie three rolls for two, but will charge for delivery. Dont forget to by a decent mask and wear some long sleeved old clothes that you are happy to ditch.

Thermo

Sponsored Links
dont insulate under any water tanks if you have them either

Dont forget to by a decent mask and wear some long sleeved old clothes that you are happy to ditch.
its :evil: stuff mate.we make cluches at work and the clutch facings(driven plate) are made from fibreglass composite which is similar to loft insulation material.the way we get it of our skin at work is to give it an air blast,obviously not practical when your in the loft :LOL: sometimes its still on skin when i've been in the bath :rolleyes: .thanks for info mate anyway ;)

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him

nowt wrong with chile matey,we supply ya copper-no copper=less workee. lessworkee=less moneeeyy :p :p :p :p :p :p

sr72, when you say you give it a quick blast of air is that air under pressure?

Thermo said:
sr72, when you say you give it a quick blast of air is that air under pressure?

yes mate it is under pressure.the air lines are used to clean the machines at the end of the shift.you've just got to be carefull not to point it too close to the skin(air bubbles in the blood(bends). ;)

that was the point i was getting around to. hse would throw a fit if they caught you!

A very late last minute visit from a builder mate of mine on Friday night lead to me putting off the loft job at the weekend.
After he had a look in the loft, he told me that it would be worth strengthening the floor & making it a room (small office/ computer room) & not just a storage space.
As I will only be fitting a loft ladder & not a fixed stairs, I know that I will never be able to call it a proper room - but I still think it will be worthwhile.

masona said:
How are you going to get out if a fire break out below?

As quickly as possible - but I have not really thought that far ahead.
I am assuming that I would need a means of escape from the loft in the event of a fire below.
I live in a 1st floor flat & I assume my current means of escape would be through a 1st floor window if my stairs was blocked by fire.

masona said:
Is the loft trap in the hall area or in a room?

It is currently in a walk in storage area off my bedroom. But I intend to move it to above the landing at the top of the stairs in my flat*.

* I live in the 1st floor flat of a coverted terrace house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back