Boarding Loft for storage and access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our loft isn't big enough for an actual real room, it's only 160cm high at the apex and there's no way i'm getting into moving ceilings down (even though there is room below)

But we need storage space and the loft is packed full of rubbish but i would like to make it into a proper room/storage area with shelves, cupboards and find some space saving stairs so it actually get used and is tidy.

The rafters are 2in x 6.5in and spaced around 30cm/40cm apart. Would i be able to just lay boards ontop of those as they stand? The construction is just these from the front to the back of house with an old style fairly shallow room (no interior supports). Either edge of the house is brick.

I would also like to board up the roof too, pop some insulation in and place boards over. Is there some kind of lightweight boards specifically for this?

The loft access is typical at the moment but i would like to open up more of it, so the room below looks up into the loft. Obviously there's no en-mass cutting of joists about to happen, although for access i wonder if one of the joists can be cut, like a rectangles worth maybe 2m long. The whole loft area is approx 6m x 10m.

My question is where ought i go to find out details? This is no more than a rough idea at the moment and i don't want to hire anyone until i'm pretty sure what the choices are.

many thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
some space saving stairs so it actually get used and is tidy.

Pretty sure fixed stairs to a loft requires planning permission, if you mean actual stairs as opposed to a ramsy/fold away ladder.

If you have it permanantly open all the heat from your current room will be gone to the loft, unless you spend a small fortune on the likes of celotex insualtion, and plasterboard over it all making sure its sealed up, and the loft is in general best not being sealed up so the materials can breath and be ventilated.

Flooring wouldtn be an issue for the sake of using the loft for storage, you can get std chipboard loft flooring from the likes of BnQ and the joists you descibe should quite happily bear the weight of some flooring and storage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back