Boarding over parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have parquet in the living room. Knowing it's probably a sin, I need to cover it as its breaking up badly. It's breaking along the tongues of the blocks as its been sanded too far (not guilty) so it's not salvageable.

I'm going to ply over and carpet, but wondered what the best way is to do this. Could I float ply over this, or does it need to be fixed? If so 400mm centres or more?

Is it worth putting some Vitrex board under the ply to even out the bumps and provide a bit more insulation?

For the ply, 5.5mm or 9mm?

Thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
How old is the property ?
If before 1965 then there won't be a sheet damp proof membrane.
If that's the case and you board over the parquet then that might cause them all to blow off the floor.

Good point. House is 1948.

The parquet is varnished so not 'breathing' and was for many years but only suffered due to foot traffic rather than moisture. It's solid, just breaking.

I'm only really after a temporary measure (couple of years) until we can afford to dig out the floor properly and replace.

Would just underlay and carpet over work better in allowing the floor to breathe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would carpet over if it's temporary mate. Don't use a moisture resistant underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back