Boarding studding wall with mixer bar shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am boarding up a stud wall which will have a shower. From the pictures you can see the shower pipes. Do I need to add /ply or anything else before I board up? I don't want to put the cement board on yet in case I miss anything so that's why I'm asking

Attachments

• IMG_7798.JPG
    IMG_7798.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
I'm nearly certain the plumber that did the neighbouring semi used wall plate elbows screwed to a noggin, as the pipes were going to be supporting he shower bar. I use speedfit so I definitely need wallplate elbows. Are your pipes secure enough to hold the bar?

Slight deja vu moment here.
But I think you should test them.

Sponsored Links
I put a ply board behind the tiles where I fixed my shower and riser kit. 9 years on its still there and no pressure on any pipes.

That framing is well wrong - whoever did it doesn't know what they are doing. You will waste materials if you carry on with this foolishness.

FWIW:
Shower units are usually centred on shower walls.
And as suggested above, end feed wall plate elbows eg. 15mm x 1/2" are screwed to backing pieces.
Whatever, the supplies must be fixed before they stub out to a bar mixer or a unit etc.
Some bar mixer kits contain their own custom elbow plates.

Last edited:
There are plenty of commercial backing plate out there some that can be fitted after boarding the wall.
This is the one I use all the time now for bar showers

You seem to misunderstand what is being talked about - we are talking about fixing the stub outs onto backing in the stud bay not onto the boarded out surface.
Why do you characterise a very popular and widely available fixture as "commercial"?

no mis-understanding, that backing plate requires no other fixings elbows or anything else to support the mixer, or pipes.
...and to answer the commercial point; as available to buy as a complete product, as opposed to made up of separate parts.

Backing & clipping for supplies in the stud bay gives fixing height and centres, & prevents the possibility of pipe rattle.
Stubs in particular, in my plumbing world, are never left loose.

The sheds are full of fixtures, fittings & devices that often come as full kits (including the very popular Bristan's) - but I have never seen any of them described as "commercial". Neither have I heard the term used for any item in residential plumbing.

my god you're a ****ing pedant, I apologise, commercially available then... happy now.

Backing & clipping for supplies in the stud bay gives fixing height and centres, & prevents the possibility of pipe rattle.
Stubs in particular, in my plumbing world, are never left loose.

The sheds are full of fixtures, fittings & devices that often come as full kits (including the very popular Bristan's) - but I have never seen any of them described as "commercial". Neither have I heard the term used for any item in residential plumbing.
interesting.

My very good boiler man (heating engineer)says it was not needed.

I asked a all rounder and he said you could put some pipe clips on ply board.

Some people said once you mount the mixer it will further support pipes.

However my bathroom fitter says I need to fitting as the pipes shake.

Given this . What do I buy for my grohe mixer.

Your peevish excuse for an apology is irrelevant - what is relevant is to give accurate advice and not to scramble about defending rubbish and then name calling as though someone else is responsible for your lack of knowledge.

Every item ever sold over a counter is a commercial transaction - no one goes up to a trade counter and asks for a "commercially available shower valve" - perhaps you cut to the chase and ask for "a commercial transaction"?

wallplate elbows and hemp+paste on the threaded brass stubs that go into them - just done one for a family member.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back