Boating hols

keyplayer said:
Just book a long weekend at the most, you'll be bored stiff otherwise. Unless of course you tow a barge of coal or something down south which will render the excercise a little less pointless.

keyplayer, have you ever been on a Narrowboat?

We are all different, personally I would be bored stiff on a Spanish beach all day but some people love it, which is fair enough.

Like everything in life the more you pay the better you get. However, all rental narrowboats have a minimum standard. This would include heating/cooking/fridge /showering or bath and a toilet (with a storage tank which normally lasts a weeks holiday) The sleeping arrangments will vary depending how many berths it is. The boat will be be full of diesel and have at least one full and one part used bottle of gas.

Some narrowboat hire companies use a star arrangement from the tourist authorities (like hotels).

I would avoid the hotel boats really, although good they are very pricey and are sometimes used by older or less able bodied people. Very few have the room for private en-suites etc, so you may have to share. :(
Hire boats are much more fun and like Julie said they are not hard to handle.

Picking a route which suits you is also important, some people enjoy the countryside and watching nature etc, others like historic industrial architecture whilst some like the many rallies which are held by like minded people.

Do remember that narrowboats can also go on rivers too but anyone lacking experience may find these a tad daunting. I would suggest a narrow canal for a first experience, it is much slower and safer for kids.

I have been Narrowboating for many years around the Cheshire area and have never found it boring.

You will be amazed how friendly the other people are and they will always help you, if you ask. It is customary to wave and talk to every other boater you see. You will also be surprised at the ammount of foreign holiday makers on the canals. They are particularly popular with Scandinavians/OZ/Newzealanders and Americans.

This is a good site if any of you want to plan a route.

http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi
-------------------------------------------------------------

Narrowboat holiday are very good for children, they are fun and educational. Please remember though if any of you fall in the water near the rear of the boat ALWAYS TURN OFF THE ENGINE. There have been cases of people touching turning props when trying to get out of the water.

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
we are in cumbria so we would have to travel anyway.
I appreciate that there will be different standards but if it is quite expensive, then we wouldnt be eating out all of the time.
I take it there would be reasonable cooking facilities on the boat to use aswell as pubs and picnics?
I havent looked at the links yet and this is maybe answered there, I will look.

We are camping but I have always fancied doing a canal hol.
Just wasnt sure if it would be boring for the kids.
The youngest really wants to do a rosy and jim holiday! (kids programme with canal boat on it for those without little kids)

Hi Toffee, we also like camping and suchlike and at Easter last year we hired a narrowboat for a week on the Shropshire Union canal, 2 families, 4 kids on one boat and although the weather wasn't the best we had a good time. We had a few pub meals but also cooked quite a few in the galley. If you are used to cooking on a campsite or in a field then it will be no problem. As well as a lot of beautiful tranquil cruising our route took us through the centre of Birmingham at 10am on a Sunday morning, which was surprisingly interesting as you see the city from a completely new viewpoint. There were quite a few locks but once you have motivated the kids and have a bit of a system going they are a doddle and quite good excercise for all involved. We were on a circular route and one complaint from my wife was that we had to get so many miles under our belt each day that there wasn't enough time to stop and look around.

In 2 weeks we are off on another one for a week, picking up a boat at Silsden Lock which is on the Leeds-Liverpool canal and as it goes over the pennines there will be many locks. This time we cruise for a certain distance then turn around and return so we are going to plan a few stops for sightseeing and picnics etc as there will be no pressure to get the miles in.
If you like camping and The Great Outdoors then I'm sure you would enjoy it. Some of the scenery is so beautiful and it changes every day.

Can strongly recommend it, as long as the kids can swim, so you aren't fretting too much.

I did a couple (Llangollen, Shropshire Union, Trent & Mersey, inc a ride on the old Anderton lift down to the River Weaver) when I was a student, and we could all share the cost of the boat.

The only thing that stopped me doing it again in later life is the cost of hiring a boat with only 1 budget to pay for it.

A few basic boat tips:

1) A proper steel-hulled narrowboat is the only craft of choice. Spit on the plastic cruisers.

2) Get one big enough to sleep all of you without the need to use the convertible beds in the main cabin.

I have odne a week on the Thames..its very hard work with two..and i'd imagine risky with yong nippers...youl need eyes everywhere..it wont be easy to relax much..

Reminds me of an old chat up line...'hello luv..fancy a few hours on me boat'...

Sponsored Links
Toffee wrote,
we are in cumbria so we would have to travel anyway.
Toffee, don't forget the Lancaster canal that shouldn't be too far for you. You will find info here
http://www.alucard.co.uk/lancaster/
and more here.
http://www.waterscape.com/Lancaster_Canal
I have never been on this canal myself but I believe it is a very tranquil and scenic.

For anyone interested some of the writing refers to a contour canal. Contour canals follow the lay of the land, rather like a river would. This means they have not been "engineered" for directness and therefore often have no locks or lift bridges at all. I personally prefer and enjoy the engineering so avoid these canals, but they are ideal for begineers or the the less able etc, who may find obstacles difficult.

Back