Yorkie Dales

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, wife and i along with wellies/ galoshes/raincoats/brollies are planning to spend a few days in the yorkshire dales. after bank hol, can you recommend any must visit/ see places in the region and places to stay thanks .. P M

Sponsored Links
Have a trip to the cow and calf rocks on Ilkley moor.

There are some fantastic views, good walks, a little tea room and a nice country pub.

See it here

It is also only 5 mins drive from Ilkley town center which has some nice shops to look around.

Brimham Rocks and Aysgarth Falls are both great days out.....

Sponsored Links
Aysgarth would be on my list, as well as Malham (walk up to the top and walk on the wobbly rocks). Also visit the railway station at Pickering.

And get the train to the village they use to film Hearbeat...

securespark said:
And get the train to the village they use to film Hearbeat...
I think that one's Goathland. All the villages the train stops at (about 4 of them) are nice to visit.

Sorry to be pedantic, but Pickering and Goathland, though nice, are on the Moors, not in the Dales..... (hence NYMR).

My money's still on Brimham Rocks. I guarantee you will never have seen anything like it in this country.

johnny_t said:
Sorry to be pedantic, but Pickering and Goathland, though nice, are on the Moors, not in the Dales..... (hence NYMR).
I'll make you sorry for being pedantic, Goathland may be on the moors but Pickering is in Ryedale. Don't you be coming up here with your Southern ways and start re-drawing the map of God's county! :LOL:

My money's still on Brimham Rocks. I guarantee you will never have seen anything like it in this country
Brilliant place but don't go on a weekend though, the place was heaving the last time I went.

And can I just point out that Brimham Rocks are on a hill overlooking Nidderdale but not actually in it!

poshman said:
hi all, wife and i along with wellies/ galoshes/raincoats/brollies are planning to spend a few days in the yorkshire dales. after bank hol, can you recommend any must visit/ see places in the region and places to stay thanks .. P M

There are so many, 'tis hard to list. I don't know what your preferences are, but I would suggest buying a few guides / maps. I personally prefer to go to the "undiscovered" places because I like tranquillity and solitude, but it's not everyones cup of tea. Best to do a bit of research and do some discovering.

Pickering / Helmsley are nice, Goathland is nice, but quite remote, then theres areas around Wendsleydale / Nidderdale that are nice, it really depends. Also for blunt beauty, the Colne valley (Where the heart is) is nice.

Best to get some guides I'd say.

hermes said:
Don't you be coming up here with your Southern ways and start re-drawing the map of God's county! :LOL:

I can't help it - I'm a geezer, ain't I !!

Forgot to mention Fountains Abbey, stunningly beautiful in the right light and a nice walk around it. I heard Rivaulx Abbey is good but I haven't been yet.

thanks for all your ideas but due to the hissing weather we decided against it but will refer to your ideas when we do go. we did manage to see Richmond but the one in surrey not nth Yorks :LOL: also spent half a day at Kew gardens which is worth a visit .... P M

Sponsored Links
Back