Boiler and pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 months ago I had a new Worcester boiler fitted in same place as old boiler. I also had a big black filter thing fitted which i think most have now. When my boiler was installed the pressure was just below 1 and in the green. All has been working fine. I checked the pressure the other day and this is now 6 months on at 0.5, is this normal? Also when I turn on hot tap to run a bath I've watches the pressure gauge and it drops to 0 when I'm running hot bath, as soon as I turn off the hot water and the boiler stops the gauge goes straight back to 0.5 ie what it was.

I thought when boiler is in use the pressure should go up? I've never had a brand new boiler before or paid much attention to a boiler before.

Any help appreciated I do suffer from anxiety so I am a natural worrier!

I've attached 2 photos, one of the boiler when not in use and one when hot water is on. Once hot water turned off pressure goes back up instantly to what it was.

Attachments

• 20190916_074911.jpg
    20190916_074911.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Second picture attached.

Forgot to mention in 6 months I've never topped up pressure as only had boiler for 6 months how often should a boiler be topped up a year as healthy practice?

Attachments

• 20190916_172700.jpg
    20190916_172700.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 38
In theory, you should never have to top up the pressure. In practice, a newly installed system will take a while to get all the air out of the system, and will require topping up. After that once every six months seems about the norm. If you think how many joints there are in a system (two for every radiator, three to five under the boiler) its little wonder that the odd un-detectable leak occurs.

If you have to top up more than once every six months, it suggests there is more of an issue. Every time you top up you let oxygenated water into the system, which can cause corrosion within the radiators. System should have inhibitor in it to prevent corrosion, and the inhibitor itself should be changed every two to four years.

Just top the pressure up to 1Bar and forget about it, the pressure guage will read different when the boiler is on as the internal pump kicks in it is normal

Sponsored Links
Ian, go to bed. You have a busy day tomorrow.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Andy
I dont Andy I am on holiday and sitting at a pool as I am on here, very unexpected but appreciated holiday but really enjoying it, hope you have a really good day today mate

My next question is why is it so complicated to top up the pressure. My old boiler had a filling loop this one has a key??!!

you have a 6 month old Worcester boiler that has a filling link that requires a key ????

It's a white thing that's on the bottom of the boiler that you plug in and turn then pressure tops up

It's not an actual key, it's like a white plastic thing you plug in and turn

I've just looked on Wocester website and a filling key is all very normal

This is the boiler

Attachments

• 20190918_075606.jpg
    20190918_075606.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 46

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back