Boiler banging - not kettling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 3 month old Glowrom Ultimate 25R. When it starts up when cold, it makes the occasional, single banging noise like two 4 by 4 planks being banged together. It will happen a half dozen times in the first 30 minutes then hardly at all for the rest of the day.

The CH pump is definitely on, and set to 3.

Oddly, the installation engineer inadvertently set the CH pump to come on 24 hours a day and the problem didn't start happening until it was fixed so I wonder if the pump needs to come on 30 seconds or so before the boiler starts up to get the water flowing?

The original installer won't return. I will probably have to get an Engineer around but if it is something simple then I'd like to try and fix it.

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Sounds like expansion noise on heat up, why did you fall out with the installer?

Footprints

Thanks for responding. The original Installer took 9 weeks of badgering to sort our snags and to commission the Boiler. The pump was running constantly during this time - I had to manually open the Zone valves to stop leaks.

Is there anything that can be done regarding expansion?

Kevin

It may be the heat exchanger expanding or some part of the case strained like flexing a metal tray.
I would suggest contacting the maker and get them to send an engineer it should be under guarantee for 12 months at least.

Sponsored Links
I notice a number of threads on a similar subject with no answer and as my issue was resolved, this might help someone in future.

Thanks to @footprints for the steer.

I rang Gloworm (Valiant) as the boiler was within warranty. It is a known issue and they sent an Engineer out within 2 days - observing Covid-19 protocols!

If I remember the fix correctly, the expansion plate by the heat exchanger has a number of screws in it. In the factory they are over-torqued which makes expansion very noisy. He loosened off the screws, semi-tightened them and a few days later I haven't been woken at 6am by the banging Boiler - and my Dog hasn't jumped out of his skin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back