Boiler beyond economical repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am posting on behalf of an elderly relative who has just been told that her CH boiler is beyond economical repair.

She has a Servowarm Elite boiler 21 which has been on a service contract since it was installed (she thinks about 9 years ago). The boiler gets serviced every year and last year there were no problems reported.

She has just had this years service carried out (HomeServe are the service company) and the guy said it would need some new parts and they should have been available witin 3 days ( this was last Tuesday). She hadn't heard from then since so she rang today to be told that the boiler would cost over £1000 to repair and was therefore beyond economical repair.

I have looked at the policy she had and it states that for a boiler as old as hers, Homeserve will condem the boiler if its costs more than £200 to repair.

They have said that they will send her a cheque for this amount but that as they do not fit new boilers thry have just given her three phone numbers of companies to contact to get quotes for a replacement.

I have contacted a local gas engineer who will be looking at the boiler this afternoon to a) confirm that it is not repairable, and b) if that is the case to give an estimate for a replacement.

Anyone had any dealings with Homeserve? are they ok or cowboy's?

I wonder if they are just cutting their losses by condeming the boiler after the engineer who came seemed to suggest it was repairable.

I do not know the full extent of the problems he found but she does remember something to do with the Heat exchanger.

She is quite worried about the cost of repair/replacement so we will see what the local guy says today.

Sponsored Links
most of the parts for these boilers are obsolette, servowarm went out of business years ago. If it needs parts its probably time to change it.
Homeserve are a bunch of useless charlatans but I don't think they have done alot wrong in this case.

There are several schemes to provide replacement boilers for needy older people ( who receive some benefits in most cases ).

Regardless, its worth checking to see if she has any entitlement.

Some councils have an advice line for people in this position.

A replacement is likely to cost between £1500-£2000 in most cases.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back