Back boiler needs replacing - still allowed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone,

A friend from work has been told by a "reputable" installer that her back boiler is beyond repair, and that due to changes in the Building Regs, it is now prohibited to replace it with a similar model and so she'll need "a whole new system" :eek:

I've heard something similar before, but I thought that you could still buy them (e.g. from Baxi) for replacement purposes only.

Who's right? Is she being led up the garden path?

Cheers,
Nick.

Sponsored Links
Only SEDBUK band A and B boilers are now allowed, with very few exceptions. Copies of the Building Regulation Part L1 are freely downloadable from http://www.odpm.gov.uk so you can check for yourself.

Band A and B boilers are generally condensing boilers, your backboiler would probably be down around band G if it went that low!

Whole new boiler required, but whole new system probably not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Corgiman (and everyone else).

I've had a quick skim through that document - very useful though some of it's not that easy for a layman like me to understand, especially as I haven't actually seen the installation :confused:

I see that if you're replacing a back boiler and a condensing boiler would have to be fitted in a different room, you add 350 points... What does that mean in practice?

Am I right in thinking that basically, the advice she was given was right, unless there are exceptional circumstances which mean that a condensing boiler absolutely can't be installed? Seems a bit harsh when you consider the difference in cost :(

Thanks again guys,
Nick.

Not all the installation restrictions on installing a condensing boler are described in those docs I think - though I haven't looked at them recently!

If for example you could put a boiler in a kitchen butthe plume would be next to a neighbour's back door, it would be reasonable to sugggest that it might "cause a nuisance" so couldn't go there. If the back room has wall to wall patio doors it can't go there either, etc.
Like many of these things the documents are unbelievably badly written.

What's wrong with the boiler? many of them can be repaired, even if it means the main heat exchanger.

Thanks Chris.

I'm working on second-hand info from a not very technically-minded young lady, so it's difficult to say what the fault is, but from the way she described it, it sounded like the main HE.

Again, I'm worried that an unscrupulous installer might be trying to sell her a new system when in reality, the old one could be persuaded to give a few more years service (though I appreciate that this kind of spare doesn't come cheap).

Cheers,
Nick.

PS What's the weather in Antarctica like compared with Khazakstahn? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back