Back Boilers Legal or Not???

The British Standard on ventilation has not changed since 2000. The guidance on classification of inadequate vetilation was altered in Aug 2005 and will change again in Aug 2008.
British Standards are a guidance on how to do things correctly, not a legal obligation.
However if a gas appliance has been deemed unsafe it may be illegal to use it after that (gas regs=legal document), but that currently can't be determined over the phone.

Sponsored Links
i think my point on reg changes not being retrospective is correct rather than horseshit, we were discussing several different things, one being a change to the regs ie pushing towards fitting high efficiency boilers and changes to clearances can have an effect on where you fit a new boiler but the existing boiler can be repaired for ever, therefore changes to clearance regs would classify something as NCS but it wouldn't need ripped out, we also discussed a change to classification of ventilation found which is NOT a change to BS5400-2 which gives the calculation for vents, ie at the moment if an open flue has no ventilation it is AR but if it has any it is NCS, after June it needs at least 90% of what should have originally been there or it will now be AR, seems reasonable to me, nickso can you give an example of a gas reg change that is retrospective and would lead to an existing working appliance needing to be removed?
"never git rid of them" was meant towards high pressure sales pitch people who stay for hours to get a sale

i think my point on reg changes not being retrospective is correct rather than horseshit, we were discussing several different things, one being a change to the regs ie pushing towards fitting high efficiency boilers and changes to clearances can have an effect on where you fit a new boiler but the existing boiler can be repaired for ever, therefore changes to clearance regs would classify something as NCS but it wouldn't need ripped out, we also discussed a change to classification of ventilation found which is NOT a change to BS5400-2 which gives the calculation for vents, ie at the moment if an open flue has no ventilation it is AR but if it has any it is NCS, after June it needs at least 90% of what should have originally been there or it will now be AR, seems reasonable to me, nickso can you give an example of a gas reg change that is retrospective and would lead to an existing working appliance needing to be removed?
"never git rid of them" was meant towards high pressure sales pitch people who stay for hours to get a sale

you were responding to the OP asking if BBUs were to be made illegal. you implied that the regs were not retrospective in that current regs defects would not have to be rectified for current installations. IMO you are leading the OP up the path by implying that no action needs to be taken on the current installation. i may be reading between the lines somewhat but you need to be aware of what you advising.

i agree its not be a change to the reg itself but a change to the classification of the defect that the reg is concerned with that has changed, but it is entirely retrospective.

i did not mention removing a working appliance for any defect no matter that the reg or classification of that defect may be.

The obvious thing to do if the BBU is AR or NTCS due to ventilation regs is to upgrade the air vent to current standards. Then there would be no need to replace a functioning boiler.

Sponsored Links
the OP asked if a back boiler is becoming illegal, i said no, there was no mention of the existing installation having any faults, i thought my reply was clear (but that is because i knew what i was trying to say!!) but you are right perhaps my reply could be misinterpreted, the point i made on the changes not being retrospective was to do with an existing install as the OP described, open flued boilers are still allowed to be fitted (as per todays regs) i suppose you are right in that i implied the OP did not need to take any action but that was based on the original question, not info on actual faults,
now that i have read twgas post on the <40% is AR and 40-90% is NCS i realise i was wrong to say any ventilation was NCS that was the case before the reclasification.
but everyones comments are fair and based on their own interpretation of what they read so to bring it up/discuss it/question it will allow further explanation and hopefuly more clarity for the OP (but clarity is not my strong point going on the length od this simple reply!!)

i do live in my own special world, but at least i am well know and liked there.

the OP asked if a back boiler is becoming illegal, i said no, there was no mention of the existing installation having any faults, i thought my reply was clear (but that is because i knew what i was trying to say!!) but you are right perhaps my reply could be misinterpreted, the point i made on the changes not being retrospective was to do with an existing install as the OP described, open flued boilers are still allowed to be fitted (as per todays regs) i suppose you are right in that i implied the OP did not need to take any action but that was based on the original question, not info on actual faults,
now that i have read twgas post on the <40% is AR and 40-90% is NCS i realise i was wrong to say any ventilation was NCS that was the case before the reclasification.
but everyones comments are fair and based on their own interpretation of what they read so to bring it up/discuss it/question it will allow further explanation and hopefuly more clarity for the OP (but clarity is not my strong point going on the length od this simple reply!!)

i do live in my own special world, but at least i am well know and liked there.

fair play. i applaud your honesty.

i apologise for my appalling english in my last post, i was a case down at that point :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back