Baxi Bermuda back boiler - help

Cheers for the info fellas.
Having looked at the replacment fronts available, I will probably go for a new combi, then I'll have a lot more choice of fireplaces.
Will get a few quotes though, as I'm sure I'll get cheaper than BGs quote.
(btw - will I need a new pump/timer/thermostat?)

Sponsored Links
Will have to be condensing boiler, roomstat, trv`s on all rads, :cry: :cry: except where roomstat is, usually hallway :cry:

Sponsored Links
Going sealed system from present open vented system is opening a can of worms.
Furthermore going combi from a tried and tested and build like brick outhouse boiler, do expect the new boiler to require more loving tender care and service. Inferior hot water flow rate. What with condensing boilers (though 95% efficient) suspect reliability, do you feel luck?

My money would be a replacement cylinder, conversion to fully pumped and system cleanse and inhibited.

why dont you replace back boiler as well for an inset model back boiler and you can have a coal effect inset fire with a new back boiler as well alot cheaper me thinks :idea:

DP said:
My money would be a replacement cylinder, conversion to fully pumped and system cleanse and inhibited.

DP I know all areas are different but from a couple of posts recently you seem to come across bbu's on gravity hw as the normal. In my area 19/20 bbu's I see are installed on fully pumped systems...I think the council upgraded all theirs about 15 years ago.fwiw.

I personally wouldn't upgrade the boiler to another bbu, but I'm not keen on having a force9 ventilation draught whipping round the room to feed 30kw of open flued appliances in a room I like to get drunk and sleep in....just me.

dunno gaz but have you seen the flue

images

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
30kw wot sort of bbu you fitting :?:

Your not going to pull me up for that one are you???....I apologise 21.2kw for the 552 bbu and 5.76kw for the firefront. Yeah you may be right 26.96kw, maybe you should get it replaced ;)

all the bbu here are gravity and they were still making the boiler in 2003 or they had a lot of old stock companey i worked for were doing 30 a week upgrades and new installs,the glass fronted firefront looks nice the inset even better:cool:

If you are looking for a traditional (goodlooks ) inset fire, look at the Gloworm website. Chatsworth firefront (dear though) looks just the part. This fire front was at one time offered as a stand alone fire. Sadly, when I wanted this LFE as a stand alone, Hepworth had dised that line. Ended up with a RW

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/epower/gw/productstaticpages/bbuff .asp

For a draught free vent, look at the Stadium Black Hole vents.

Hundreds of council properties here fitted with backboilers. Present stock (council owned) have BB in them have vents fitted. Properties that are occupier owned often do not have vents fitted. So coring of the wall for a vent is regular work for me. Fully pumped systems are rare. Flow and return to the cylinder always 28 (and well lagged)

I know you're not supoosed to talk money on here...but what would be a very rough ball-park figure to replace my current Baxi with a glow-worm BBU and the Chatsworth front? Would it be less than £3000??

A question for the experts

Where does one run the condensate drain on a BBU.

and;

Can you get a fan flued BBU yet.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back