Boiler blowing fuses on board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi To All and hope you had a merry christmas

I have an heatline c24 boiler,woke up christmas morning and the boiler had blown all three fuses,The two on the pcb and the one in the plug.

Got to maplin today and brought a pack of fuses,problem is it seems to keep blowing the fuses on the pcb in 30 seconds flat to longest i've had was around 20 mins.I have no problems though when running just water,it seems to be when my heating is on.
Also i dont have a 4 amp fuse for the wall plug,I have only three or 13.i put in the three first but have changed it for the 13

Any help or advise would be nice to make my christmas warmer.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look for water around the pump. Slow fuseblowers are usually leaks.
It could be something else like the gas valve or fan, but there's not a lot you can/should do with those yourself. Check around for anything stained, like switched around diverter valve. Unusual for both pcb fuses to go - looked at the Instructions? Should be on their website.
Room stat's also a poss.

Hi ChrisR

On looking in the boiler there is a black three way valve,this appears to have a snall leak.I noticed that the valve has a power lead two it,i have inplugged this to find it was wet and the three spade connectors are tarnished.I have tried to dry this out with an hairdryer and move it so the lead is at the top.thurned on boiler and within 2 mins blew the two fuses again.Is there anything else to try with this or does it need replacing??I'm out of fuses now and will have to go back to maplin tomorrow.Thanks for any advice

That'll do it. There's a motor in there. Pull the U clip out (black tab, 57), slide the plastic part out forwards from the brass housing, and remove it from the boiler. Try to dry it out but don't be tempted to dismantle it. You'll find the pin seal in the brass bit is leaking.
It'll need some new bits but you might get it going.

52858688.jpg

Sponsored Links
That reads easy chris thankyou.Do i need to drain the boiler or turn off the mains supply to do this???dont want to add flooding to my list of probs.Thanks

It seems that Chris may be having his dinner? I will answer in his absence. You do not need to drain the boiler to remove the actuator. All will become clear once you have removed it as per Chris' instructions.
Steve

Thanks for your responses,i have removed the item and dryed it out,gonna try and replace it in the next hour after i get more fuses,just one thing though the unit has a burnt smell,guessing it may have burnt out,as i dont have a clue on where to go or look would anyone of you advise a place or link for buying a replacement.thanks again

Just an update. the heating has been on for over 2 hours and not blown a fuse ( hope that hasnt jinxed me ).On drying out the unit and re-installing it i dont appear to have a leak either ( hoping it just got some crap in it and now its sorted).

Thanks again for the speedy great advice from all on here,and a big thanks to ChrisR for the help.

Hopefully it will be a warmer new year :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back