Boiler comparison

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can any combi engineer help with this?

I'm going to buy my first combi boiler and don't know which one I should buy.

I was adviced to get at lease 28kHW boiler. I also want a timer. No need for themo. I think of the cost and reliability of the boiler. So I would consider any boiler without a timer or one have the timer build-in.

I have search the internet for review of boilers and it seems every one moans about their boiler. The only one which seems to be not as bad is Vaillant.

Vaillant boiler gives 1-2 year warrenty
Worcetor gives 2 years warrenty
Baxi gives 5 years warrenty

It seems that Baxi is more cost effective, but it seems they always have problems. Vaillant and Worcetor's parts are very expensive.

Can someone give me some suggestion of which brand should I buy? And, which boiler would have a build-in timer/themo?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ignore that ^

For the warranty Id go for the baxi. Presumably its a duo-tec/platinum? Decent boilers.

If the 5 year warranty attracts you have a look at Ideal Logic +

I know Ideal have a bad reputation at the moment and I will be crucified for saying it.

But ask them this

How many have they installed ?

How many breakdowns on this model have they attended over the 18month life cycle so far ?

Of course that's not to say it won't break down in 6 months time though :confused:

Sponsored Links
Intergas Combi Compact HRE, 28/24 or 26/30 models, preferably connected to a Remeha iSense control panel. Five year warranty when fitted by an approved installer (as are Vaillant actually...).

Of the three makes you've listed, I'd say Vaillant, that's what we currently use the majority of the time although we may switch to the Intergas soon.

What's themo?

Electric heating is a non-sense.

Yes, Baxi seems to be not that reliable (from reviews). But the cost is a lot less than the other brand (so far I can see).

What's the average life in years of a boiler? Say a Baxi would last 5 years with 5 year warranty. A Worcestor 7 year, 2 year warranty + £100 repair cost per year. A Viallent 10 years, 1 year warranty + £50 repair per year. Are these guess-timate correct? If it is correct, in 10 years time, cost of Baxi is 2600 pounds (£800 each+1000 installation and flush). Worcestor is £2500 (include part of installation cost) and Vaillant is £1550. This is assuming a Vaillant lasts twice as long as a Baxi and Worcestor is somewhere at the middle.

Any opinion on this? I do consider other brands.

Sorry to bore you with this. I'm a statistician, so can't help myself doing some calculations...

There is also the Viessmann which has a five year warrantee if installed by the right person.

However you seem to be planning to buy the boiler yourself!

Normally you choose an installer and ask for his advice!

Or perhas you expect to instal it yourself as a DIY project? That would most likely give you warrantee issues and notification problems but some try to.

Tony

There is also the Viessmann which has a five year warrantee if installed by the right person.

However you seem to be planning to buy the boiler yourself!

Normally you choose an installer and ask for his advice!

Tony

No I can't do it myself. I didn't ask for advice from the engineer. He said they are more or less the same and the price depended on the brand (might be he means the same for him as a fitter). He didn't mention to me about the 5 year warranty. He said he works for the council and does these jobs on the side.

I have just been doing some research on this which is on another thread but I know for a fact that if you use an accredited installer then Worcester boilers actually get a 5 year warranty. You can find your nearest accredited installer on their website.

That's what I am going to do anyhow

Quite a lot of boilers have a five year warranty when installed by a manufacturer-approved installer...WB, Intergas, Vaillant, Viessmann to name just a few

If the 5 year warranty attracts you have a look at Ideal Logic +

If you're just interested in warranty periods you could get a Lamborghini boiler with a seven year warranty, unfortunately a long warranty period doesn't guarantee that it won't be a bag of shlt

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will surely find out more.

I'm looking for the overall cost and the reliability. Actually, overall cost is more important to me than reliability.

Warranty is just one of the many contributing to the overall cost. It's countable. Life expectance is the main factor to overall cost, but I don't think it's easy to obtain. I can imagine the manufactory won't want to tell every one their boiler last only 5 years on average and it breaks down twice a year. I think the cost of a boiler and warranty related to the average life expectance of the boiler (which is hidden), but I don't know how this relationship works.
Reliability is another thing which is difficult to measure. I guess this is usually the gut feeling of engineers, and that's why I'm posting here to find out what those people who go out to fix boilers think about the reliability of them.

He said he works for the council and does these jobs on the side.
Does that mean he is an employee of the council? If so he may not have the necessary Gassafe registration, so the work he does would be illegal. Have you seen his Gassafe card and checked what he is registered to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back