Boiler control from ultra low voltage DC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get a double-insulated relay unit that I could use to fire my boiler from a microprocessor?

I'm aware that the 'volt free' contact could be switching 230VAC. I could check on the current boiler but we might replace it and the requirement might change.

I could do this from ZWave, but I'm interested to see if there is a simpler way given that I plan to use an Arduino to manage the 24VDC for the manifold about 2m from the boiler. Currently its all using a Danfoss CH2 wireless system (which uses a couple of SSRs - one to switch the pump and one for the boiler).

I would prefer to limit the ZWave use to things I can take to the controller, rather than having to reassociate by taking the controller to the device.

I have plenty of little relay units that are up to switching the load from the micro: but I don't really want to fabricate a suitable enclosure if I can help it.

I'm aware of the CustardPi mains switch widget and I do have one - its normally for switching three wire in and out - I guess I could use one and just wire up neutral or live on the in and out sides. It seem inelegant though.

Can anyone recommend a relay unit with enclosure that I can switch from DC (at the manifold I will have 3.3 or 5, and 24, and probably 12 also) so I have flexibility.

Many of the off the shelf units have the relay terminals exposed - the CustardPi does at least have them inside with an access gland and have cable ties to secure them and a fuse.

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back