boiler cross bonding

asc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I still see a lot of this on new boiler installs. Can anyone tell me when this was no longer a requirement? was it 15th to 16th some time in the 90s?

Sponsored Links
It never was a requirement under BS7671 (unless the boiler was in a location that required supplementary bonding.)
Supplementary bonding is no longer usually required under the 17th edition in a domestic set-up when other measures are met (disconnection times, RCD and main protective bonding)

Boiler installers will try and tell you otherwise.

It amuses me to see an installer carefully and neatly cross bonding the pipes to the boiler when all the pipes are securely fastened to the gland plate in the boiler and thus already electrically "bonded" to each other.

It never was a requirement under BS7671 (unless the boiler was in a location that required supplementary bonding.)
Supplementary bonding is no longer usually required under the 17th edition in a domestic set-up when other measures are met (disconnection times, RCD and main protective bonding).
I'm not sure whether there are any boiler designs which leave any doubt that all of the attached pipework is effectively electrically bonded together (by plumbing connections) - but, if there are, am I right in thinking that 'cross-bonding' at the boiler would then be required in order to satisfy condition (iii) in 701.415.2 for omission of supplementary bonding in bathrooms in the premises?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether there are any boiler designs which leave any doubt that all of the attached pipework is effectively electrically bonded together (by plumbing connections) - but, if there are, am I right in thinking that 'cross-bonding' at the boiler would then be required in order to satisfy condition (iii) in 701.415.2 for omission of supplementary bonding in bathrooms in the premises?

Kind Regards, John.

Good point - it first must be ensured that all the pipes are electrically connected together by the gland plate before SB can be omitted.

Good point - it first must be ensured that all the pipes are electrically connected together by the gland plate before SB can be omitted.
Indeed. Needless to say, what I was mainly thinking about was PTFE tape. With MI/FI connections, it is sometimes used so generously that I don't think that electrical continuity can necessarily be assumed. Furthermore, although one really shouldn't use PTFE tape at all with compression joints, some plumbers seem not only to use it but, again, very generously - leaving similar doubts in my mind.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back