Gas bonding regulations

Refer to previous posts by myself and alane

Is in the Gas safe check list
Required yearly for rented houses

Sponsored Links
Maybe someone can find s better copy
Thanks - but doesn't "Is the ... bonding 'satisfactory' " beg more questions than it answers? ... and, even if they can decide what it means, are gas engineers/fitters necessarily competent to judge the 'satisfactoriness' of the bonding?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-10-10_1-20-9.png

Yes, I/we know it is there but we are asking WHY?

What difference does it make to you - gas engineers doing a safety check?

Could the form have been designed by the eqivalent of our regulation authors who often do not seem competent enough to be doing the job.

Is in the Gas safe check list
Indeed - but, as EFLI said/asked, what has bonding (presence, absence or 'satisfactoriness') got to do with 'gas safety' (or a 'gas safety check')?

As I've said, if bonding has any relevance to 'gas safety', I would have thought that it would relate to a theoretical fire/explosion risk if one does bond gas pipes.

Kind Regards, John

Exactly. And if electricians don’t know, how do we expect Gas safe people to know.
Electricians should know how to check whether bonding (when it is required) is 'satisfactory', but they also should know when it is, and is not, required.

Would you expect an electrician undertaking a 'safety check' of an electrical installation to be expected to comment on aspects of the gas installation?

Kind Regards, John

I have often, while looking after fifteen flats, helped the gas engineer doing the check to understand that certain bits of green and yellow are not required.

One expected the main bonding conductor to run externally to be within 600mm. of the meter several floors below.

Would you expect an electrician undertaking a 'safety check' of an electrical installation to be expected to comment on aspects of the gas installation?
Yes, if their job is to fill in a form which asks for such a comment.

We don't expect you to (well, except Bas), but the gas people seem to think you should be.
That's my point.

In that form, there it is in black and light yellow - the person doing the gas safety check is expected to answer the question "Is the main protective equipotential bonding satisfactory?".

Call me old fashioned, but I do believe that if someone is being paid to do a job them he should be competent to do it.

Call me old fashioned, but I do believe that if someone is being paid to do a job them he should be competent to do it.
We are not expcted to test if it is satisfactory only check it is there and if we had any concerns to inform the responsible person to get it checked by a qualified person. Anyone with a reasonable level of eyesight is compete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back