Gas Bonding - again!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 4 flats in my building and none have any bonding to the outside gas meters.

When the meters were moved outside the existing bonding was removed and not re-installed on the outside.

I could simply connect a 10mm to the gas boiler which is 2m from the CU or the stove which is 2.5m from the CU BUT that would not comply with the 600mm from the supply entry. Any other way would require pulling up solid hard wood floors and draggging 10mm cable 10m under floors and up walls etc.

Can I get away with using the boiler gas supply (this is almsot the same possition as before the meter was moved) and I would have thought would protect the interior stuff better as the resistance in the pipe over 10m would be greater than 2m. Is the 600mm absoute?

Can the bond from the meter go to the main earth for the flat in the meter cupboard which is in a hallway 5m from my CU?

Otherwise what resposibility does the gas company owning the meters have to comply with bonding regs when they move a meter and remove the existing bonding. Can I just tell them to make it good?

Sponsored Links
as long as the pipe is adequately bonded and passes the relevant test, then the position is not relevant, however IF the pipe is cut then the earth path is lost, anyone working on the gas supply should fit a temp continuity bond while working, so the only danger is if the pipe is disconnected on a permanent basis with some of it removed.
I think the regs say "should" be connected within 600mm of entry point or before the first tee.

About 15m away from the CU on front wall of the building but the flooring inbetween is 4 sided tongue and groove and 2 rooms away. The only gas use is boiler and stove.

Sponsored Links
The correct way to bond and maintain equipotential zones is to bond from the landlords supply to where the gas enters the building and then bond from each flat CU to where the gas enters said flat.

as long as the pipe is adequately bonded and passes the relevant test, then the position is not relevant, however IF the pipe is cut then the earth path is lost, anyone working on the gas supply should fit a temp continuity bond while working, so the only danger is if the pipe is disconnected on a permanent basis with some of it removed.
I think the regs say "should" be connected within 600mm of entry point or before the first tee.

Thats what I needed to know. There is no likelyhood that the main supply would be cut between the bond and the meter except to change the boiler and then like you say a temp bond could be made.

The bad thing is that whoever moved the meters failed to make good the bonding. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back