boiler, cylinder and water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need your help and expertise. I need to upgrade our system but I am not sure what is the best system for my house. I am having a loft conversion with shower room on the 2nd floor and I have a shower bath on the 1st floor. I think the pressure here is around 1.5 and the flow rate is around 12-13.

I would like to have a megaflo or santon or unistor but can't because of the low flow rate. Please can you advice what is the best thing for me:

1) combi boiler where I can turn on one tap at a time
2) normal cylinder with coffin water plus a pump in the loft (will this work??)
3) holding or breaker tank with pump plus megaflo which I heard of recently (will this option be the most expensive way)

Many thanks!

Rachel

Sponsored Links
I have had a loft conversion (bungalow) with now 2 bathrooms and opted for a good quality Valliant boiler.

Serves our needs adequately as long as only one tap is on at a time.

I can live with that. :D

Thanks! Please may I know which model are you using?

I have very good advice from gas4you, corgiman and Breesey previously, however, I get really confused after meeting few plumbers. It seemed that none of the system (combi, megaflo or standard cylinder with tank and pump) will work well. So, what system should I use?

If I go for the standard fast recovery cylinder with coffin tank in the loft plus a pump on top of the tank, will I be able to get good water supply for the shower in 1st and 2nd floor?

Guys, I need to make my decision really quick. Please help me......

Sponsored Links
Who gave you the spec of 1.5 bar and a flow of 12? Measured where, how? Never heard of such low values in London.

Is it combi ecotech 837?

Flow rate was measured by a plumber few months ago. pressure got it from the board.

Thanks!

If you've room for a cylinder go for that, with a pump on the shower supplies only. Coffin tank in the loft should be adequate for basin and toilet filling without the pump (just make sure there's access to the ballcock for maintenance - think of us poor fat sweaty blokes with bad knees).

Pumping the whole house is an option I'd avoid - the pump will start several times in the night when a toilet is flushed, and maybe once or twice on its own That's a nuisance which can be alleviated by turning it off at night, and you still need room for a break tank.

Combi boiler can work but you may need to upgrade the gas and water supply pipework, and a Megaflow would be great too, if the water supply pipework was uprated.

MM

Hi MM,

Many thanks! Please may I know if break tank = heater tank or sperate thing all together? Does it mean if I go for cylinder, I will need room for water tank, heater tank, break tank and of course the pump too?

Again, thanks!

Rachel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back