Boiler, electric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering replacing my elderly mains gas boiler with an electric one. There seems to be little choice.
Pointers would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but i have never heard of an electric boiler, please enlighten me. :?:

most of our resident plumbers will tell you that if you wish to change your boiler, you should not have a combi, so you dont want to go there (but i have one and am happy with it)

breezer said:
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but i have never heard of an electric boiler, please enlighten me. :?:

most of our resident plumbers will tell you that if you wish to change your boiler, you should not have a combi, so you dont want to go there (but i have one and am happy with it)

The only domestic one I have found so far is over three feet cubed.
Manufactured by Amptec, Basingstoke.
I was hoping for something a tad smaller.

Some information first please:

How big is your gas boiler? (kW)
What size is your house/flat?
How many people live there?
Do you like baths?
Why are you considering electric?
Do you have a big enough space for an electric boiler?
Can you get a good deal on electricity prices?

Possible sources:

Gledhill
Trianco
Heatray Sadia (I think)

Don't know of many others

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Some information first please:

How big is your gas boiler? (kW)
What size is your house/flat?
How many people live there?
Do you like baths?
Why are you considering electric?
Do you have a big enough space for an electric boiler?
Can you get a good deal on electricity prices?

Possible sources:

Gledhill
Trianco
Heatray Sadia (I think)

Don't know of many others

Size, do not know but it runs 6 rads. and hot water happily.
Three bed terrace.
Four.
Yes.
Wish to remove gas boiler myself and happier with electrics.
Yes, if similiar to gas boiler.
Only Economy 7

thanks for info, I will try the net later.

i dont think you should bother.

i say this because if it heats via electricity (as it appears to by name, and what oilman said) you can't connect it to economy 7 as it will only work when economy 7 is on (not a lot of use for a shower or two during the day)

that means you will have to have it on your normal supply, and since oilman asked "do you have a good deal on electricty prices" it must be very "power hungry" which i would have thought means oilman is indirectly saying what i said is true, in that it is "power hungry" so more expensive to run, which also would make them not very common

You will need to store a lot of heat from economy seven if you don't want high fuel bills. The heat is often stored in water for smaller installations, and this will be a minimum of 200 litres. This is a tank about twice the size of the 36x18 common tank.

The "boiler" will be the heater and the heat store, and this is likely to be much larger than the average gas boiler. Unless you are corgi registered, you will need to have the gas supply disconnected from the boiler, and made safe by a registered operator.

You just might find an electricity supplier who will supply on a different scheme from the economy 7. I say this because Gledhill refer to things like economy 12 and economy 18 for new build developments.

I don't disagree with your move to electric, and we have an electric AGA which has been miles cheaper to maintain than an oil or gas version, but you will need to be more attentive to overall house management as a system if you don't want monstrous electricity bills like ours!! We have electric water heating, a storage heater, and a woodburningg stove. Electric bill? just over £1000 a year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Oilman & Breezer,
My hope was to just swop the C.H. gas boiler with an electric one and to position it in a better place, (not on the kitchen wall as at present).
Beginning to look like a pipe dream.

To any interested parties.
I have now sourced an acceptable electric boiler (in principle).
The Amptec ones range from 4 to 12 Kw., are just over a metre in length and about 9cm. square (4'').
Unfortunately, I do not think they are compatible with my rads., which are all individually thermostatically controlled.
Next question.
How do I hide my gas boiler? It is half way up the kitchen wall.
can I lower it into a floor mounted unit?

you could always ut manets on it and say its a fridge :LOL:

seriously i do not think you can put it in a "unit" as it will require a lot of vents, so to comply you may end up ith some spaces held together with wood.

when bg looked at our boiler they ummmed and arrrred (its in acupboard with lourvered doors) but they were happy when i pointed out the doors cant shut (properly)

All I can say for replacing a gas boiler with electric is that the boss of the electric company must be laughing in his sleep.

That, or you do in fact have a good deal on the electric prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back