Landlord / Tennant concern

Don't know up there Kirk, but social housing in London gets away with murder.
Got a call from a headhunter a couple of years back, who was looking for someone to do cp12s for social housing.

Not one of the flats I did had a valid one, and some were over a year past the sell by date.

These are the kind of areas where you need the tenant to sign for receipt, and inside are what looks like 3 African families, and you go:
"Erh excuse me, which one of you is actually Miss O'Brien?"

Turns out you don't want to ask too many questions unless you enjoy falling from the 7th floor with a knife in your back.

Sponsored Links
Not read full post but electric does now need to be tested and the tenant in reciept of a copy of the certificate, part P not good enough needs to be fully qualified.

Part P in the electrical trade is like saying I am almost good enough, however for plumbers, etc it is a means to an end as they are only dealing with minimal electrics.

NICEIC or NAPIT certification is what you are looking for

Not read full post but electric does now need to be tested and the tenant in reciept of a copy of the certificate,...
Since when?
Where does it say in which law or regulation that a landlord MUST have a safety certificate for electrics?
It doesn't. The only requirement is that it is safe. Nothing about compulsory certification like with gas.

if the rent is cheap,probaly no formal paperwork.
funnily enough i am now driving a gas man around (in his van) he has a year off driving due to happy hours.
his social landlords will cap off an external meter if no access for a safety check if more than 18 months since last.
heck we are now buying anti stab vests,some of their tenants are real nutters.
all good fun for me and i get paid in cash.

Sponsored Links
if the rent is cheap,probaly no formal paperwork.
funnily enough i am now driving a gas man around (in his van) he has a year off driving due to happy hours.
his social landlords will cap off an external meter if no access for a safety check if more than 18 months since last.
heck we are now buying anti stab vests,some of their tenants are real nutters.
all good fun for me and i get paid in cash.
capping a gas meter after 18 months :eek: we used to do them on the day they expired, whether inside or out, if meter was inside the joiner done the door and changed the locks, and the attending housing officer stuck a note on the door saying keys would be at police station. many times we attended and joiner actually forced door for us to find tenants in their bed, they billed the tenant £150, never got the money until tenant got refurb work done and was due a decorating allowance which they only got if not in arrears, or also when they wanted to move to another house they had to settle debt so word got around. (technically in scotland the attending housing officer can be arrested for trespass when we do this but they take the view that it is better than someone dying)

Not read full post but electric does now need to be tested and the tenant in reciept of a copy of the certificate,...
Since when?
Where does it say in which law or regulation that a landlord MUST have a safety certificate for electrics?
It doesn't. The only requirement is that it is safe. Nothing about compulsory certification like with gas.

Unless the landlord is s fully qualified spark how do you propose he proves that safety? you guessed it Certification. Law maybe doesnt state it has to be certified but its pretty much the only way your going to prove in a court of law that the installation was safe.

How did you manage to get away with capping gas meters without tenant consent, much less breaking into a property without proper legal proceedings?

It is my understanding that you are not allowed to cap a gas supply without tenant consent. Same with escapes of gas, AR or ID situations. If the tenant refuses to allow you to do it, you can't; though, you can notify the gas emergency services who have the powers to force entry and make safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back