Landlord / Tennant concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Im hopeful there will be one or two people on here who can help me with this one.... its a bit of a mix of Gas and Electric saftey so posted here in General...

Can someone tell me what a Landlord needs to supply the Tennant of a Flat that has Gas Boiler and electrics in relation to Safty and tested cirtificates.?

The boiler looks quite new, maybe a coupl eof years old, but the electrics are aincient.... Old wired fuses etc...

Any pointers would be great.

Rgds

M.A.

Sponsored Links
My Friend is the Tennant...... and has not been given any cirtifiactes...

Do they have to provide them?

With electrics do they have to do any testing?

I havnt rented for a few years but seemd to remember recieveing a Gas boiler Cirtificate after the anual service each year.. and the Electrics were tested too...when i was renting.

Sponsored Links
A landlord MUST have a landlord gas safety certificate that is less than 365 days old.
He MUST give a copy of this to the tenant within 31 days of being asked for it.
The fact that he has not given you this copy probably means he does not have one.
The reason for not having a safety certificate is usually because he is more interested in your money than in your safety, and the boiler is not installed/maintained correctly.

This is the official information from the Gas Safe Register, which is the new name for what used to be CORGI.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/renting_a_property/for_tenants.aspx

0800 408 5500 is the free number you can call with questions.

Do not hesitate to call this number, your rights as a tenant are fully protected.

There are absolutely no requirements to produce any documents relating to electricity.

A landlord MUST have a landlord gas safety certificate that is less than 365 days old.
He MUST give a copy of this to the tenant within 31 days of being asked for it.
The fact that he has not given you this copy probably means he does not have one.
The reason for not having a safety certificate is usually because he is more interested in your money than in your safety, and the boiler is not installed/maintained correctly.

This is the official information from the Gas Safe Register, which is the new name for what used to be CORGI.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/renting_a_property/for_tenants.aspx

0800 408 5500 is the free number you can call with questions.

Do not hesitate to call this number, your rights as a tenant are fully protected.

There are absolutely no requirements to produce any documents relating to electricity.

The Landlord has responsibility to ensure they are safe to use, this applies to the fixed wiring and any appliances supplied. They will be liable in the event of a fault if they cannot prove that they were safe and the only way to do that is to have a competent person look at them. Most letting agents around here demand a PIR every 5 years and a visual inspection on tenant changes in between.

I too have always been told a PIR is required at 5 year intervals minimum.

On my Part P course they told us that it was supposed to be at every change of tenant, but obviously was not practicle or cost effective for the landlord.

What does the landlord have to do if it is a holiday let?

I'm renovating a house at the moment for this purpose and need to comply with whatever I should.

Do I 'frame' the certificate(s) and fix on the wall by the boiler/consumer unit?

Agents can ask whatever they want, NIC and the likes can recommend what they want.
The bottom line is: no legal requirements to produce any document whatsoever.
If the landlord does not want to cough up for an inspection, he does not have to, unlike gas where failure to get a safety certificate is a criminal offense in itself, whether the installation is safe or not.

What does the landlord have to do if it is a holiday let?

I'm renovating a house at the moment for this purpose and need to comply with whatever I should.

Do I 'frame' the certificate(s) and fix on the wall by the boiler/consumer unit?

Framing it and fitting it to the wall is the way to go.

as well as an annual safety check a landlord should get at least a visual inspection done at change of tenancy (the old CP4 was ideal for this) this is to confirm that nothing has been disturbed etc by tenant moving out, eg if the tenant disconnects and removes their own cooker and leaves the bayonet leaking, again it is all about auditing, but getting a "void safety check" done goes a long way to ensure incoming tenants came to no harm, we used to use CP4 and do tightness test, and spillage tests on OF appliances and quick visual on RS appliances, same went for electrics as nobody can be sure what outgoing tenants have done to electrics, this is totally unrelated to the annual safety check/service, on high turnover properties i have done 3/4 safety checks as well as annual, larger social landlords got us to do them on a legal change of tenancy as well, just to keep their auditor happy, (when say an elderly parent dies and son/daughter who lived there took over tenancy without any change of appliances)

as well as an annual safety check a landlord should get at least a visual inspection done at change of tenancy

You are dreaming Kirk.
Lots of landlords do as little as legally possible, and decidedly less if they think they can get away with it.
With costs going up and incomes going down, this is unlikely to get better.

to be fair the landlords i worked for were large social housing so it was no prob to convince them of the need to get this done to protect them from a claim from an incoming tenant, in fact i actually got a few of them to pay us to isolate and cap gas, remove bayonet and drain heating while empty and then get paid to put it all back together again when new tenant moved in, all in the nature of safety in case of break in/vandalism and squatters :rolleyes: in the early days there were a few scary moments, like a new tenants dad turning on the heating while they decorated, only for us to turn up to do a repair and find a leak at the bayonet and the vent taped up, the old tenant tapped into electrics in the cylinder cupboard to fit an extra socket etc etc, i suppose private landlords would take a chance on not testing, so it comes back to us waiting on something happening to get something done, IF there was an incident and it transpires no void check done and the last annual safety was 10-11 months ago and things had been mucked up by the outgoing tenant surely the landlord had not taken all due care and attention

I'm another one in social housing and we do just as kirkgas suggests. Safety check (everything but service) on all voids and mutual exchanges. Cap when we've been unable to service during previous tenancy and no gas on the meter at void.

If I had my druthers, I'd slap a cap on all voids until the new tenant's in and we can ensure they've had their cookers installed properly. It's also the perfect time to have their heating controls explained to them, and ensure they know where the ECV is and how to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back