Hands Up Who Likes Landlords!!!!

If these are bedsits we're presumably looking at open-flue fires in bedrooms. These need to have vitiation-sensing pilots. If (as you say) the 'safety devices are not working', then the fires are ID because they are 'appliances left in an unsafe condition due to lack-of or faulty servicing'. No question.

In your case, I would assume (at least to salve my own conscience!) that the fires I had NOT inspected were the same as those that I had capped-off. I would hope that CORGI would support the PRINCIPLE that in these circumstances. TRANSCO should come around and cut the supply until the situation was shown to be safe. Otherwise, on the facts you stated, there's a risk of dead people, which is mostly what CORGI is supposed to prevent. If CORGI does NOT back you up, then it needs to re-assess pretty quickly what it's for! And (BTW) forget all this b*****cks about Gas Work Notification until such time as it can fulfil its existing role properly.

Sponsored Links
I called the Council and they were very helpful ( I don't think) they are going to look into it sometime..
I called the HSE and they won't do anything until they have received my RIDDOR Form which I have already sent....
I then decided to call TRANSCO and "HURRAY" they actually cared about the situation, I give them 10 out of 10 for their helpful and professional attitude. They are going to send a team round this evening to assess ALL the bedsits and ALL the appliances and make their own judgement on it.
So gents I feel I can now get on with earning my living.
Well done TRANSCO you are awarded the "Stulew organisation of the month award" for your services to peoples safety.
Thanks For All Your Comments.

Sorry for the bad advice then, but I’m surprised at the lack of interest from the Council. I should have said from my experience, but when I was involved in HMO properties the local Council produced a lot of publications and arranged seminars for private landlords to get the message across particularly with regard to gas safety. I’ve looked on Croydon’s website and one of their Environmental Health Officers, Peter Brown, helped found the London HMO study group. He was a member of the working party to develop an approved code of practice for management standards for HMOs for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
I suppose it depends on the individual Council but I’m pleased you got a result Stu.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, great - Transco takes its role seriously.
But that does not make up for the fact that CORGI and Croydon Council didn't!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back