Landlord Safety Check

What I believe,what I do and what the regs state on this matter are completely different.

Statements of mandatory items,which evidently aren't that's what we're discussing.

Sponsored Links
so are some of us saying a landlord does NOT need to confirm the gas carcass that he owns, allows a tenant to use and is therefore legally responsible for is fit for purpose and confirmed as safe to use?

oh dear,

lets fill in those holes.

gents if this was the place to discuss which really it isnt id recommend a good read of the regs,paying particular note to the following

pg 65 guidance 219
26.9 and the 4 items
appendix 1

what a landlord should offer and the work required for a safety check are quite different.If you think because a form says something it must be done your very much mistaken.

i think a much more relevant read is Reg 36 (1) which describes what a landlord must do, and 36(2) which describes relevant gas fitting incliuding installation pipework

as i posted earlier it doesnt say you MUST do a TT but it is very clear that a landlord MUST ensure the gas pipe is safe to use, so i concur the only way i can confirm a gas pipe is safe for a landlord is a full and proper visual inspection and a TT
boing back over the net :LOL:

36.1 will be the deffinition

36.2 tells you what the landlord should do.

However like i said what the landlord should do and what you have to do are completely different.As a gas eng im only bothered anbout my requirements not the landlords.

So like you've agreed, a TT's not stated as being required,you dont have to prove its sound but the landlord should ensure it is,if he doesnt actually ASK for a tightness test theres no requirement to carryone out.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
so are some of us saying a landlord does NOT need to confirm the gas carcass that he owns, allows a tenant to use and is therefore legally responsible for is fit for purpose and confirmed as safe to use?

I don't think anyone has said that at all. It's more a debate as to whether a tightness test is required on the annual safety inspection, like the required checks under 26.9 and required information under 36.3.c.

Personally, I think it a shame that the regulations don't require tightness tests as a part of the requirements for landlords safety checks, as well as servicing to manufacturers instructions. Not all landlords are clued up to requirements or scrupulous. At least it if these things were required, there'd be no grey area.

I don't think anyone has said that at all. It's more a debate as to whether a tightness test is required on the annual safety inspection, like the required checks under 26.9 and required information under 36.3.c.

Personally, I think it a shame that the regulations don't require tightness tests as a part of the requirements for landlords safety checks, as well as servicing to manufacturers instructions. Not all landlords are clued up to requirements or scrupulous. At least it if these things were required, there'd be no grey area.

so if we agree that a landlord must confirm safety are we now just splitting hairs over the terminology/description used? if the landlord doesnt demand a TT some dont do it, but we know it needs to be confirmed as safe so surely doing the TT covers this, i appreciate we should only do what we are paid for but in this instance i would be discussing/adding to work & invoice via the landlord, so that i was covered, if they didnt want it i would demand that in writing and i bet we wouldnt get that from too many landlords once they knew it was their responsibility. sometimes these debates go on for days and days without us resolving anything

However like i said what the landlord should do and what you have to do are completely different.As a gas eng im only bothered anbout my requirements not the landlords.

So like you've agreed, a TT's not stated as being required,you dont have to prove its sound but the landlord should ensure it is,if he doesnt actually ASK for a tightness test theres no requirement to carryone out.

Answer this Honestly then mate.

If you were to have a GS Inspection tomorrow and it was on a lanlords, would you
A. Do the tightness test or
B. Not and show him pages from a book.

Answer honestly please!!!

What about if the landlord has no gas appliance's fitted in a property , e.g they were all removed , but he still has a gas supply ??? does the landlord , than require a LT certificate ??? No ????

What about if the landlord has no gas appliance's fitted in a property , e.g they were all removed , but he still has a gas supply ??? does the landlord , than require a LT certificate ??? No ????

Now that my friend is a Very Good point however you must assume for the basis of this topic that whenever any or all of appliances were removed from the system that a TT was done and no other is needed unless gas is smelled.

we looked after 14000 social housing houses, and from memory we used to visit 100+ every year, known to have no gas, complete a CP1 to confirm that the tenant hadnt got a meter fitted since the last visit, again this was a good set of landlords who just want to do things correctly and go the extra mile to ensure they couldnt be compromised, (perhaps not mandatory so will cause more discussion)

If you were to have a GS Inspection tomorrow and it was on a lanlords, would you

you've asked so here goes

if were to carryout a cp12 at one of the social landlords we have as a client,regardless of who came with me then I would not carryout a tightness test.

If my gsr inspector were to quiz me on it,I would
ask him to tell me where it says I should before me
pouting out where it says I don't have to.then as I know him,I'm
sure a heated debate would follow.

Food for thought,my last gsr inspection visited 2 sites, 1 where the use of the factories act made it hard for him to actually make any critisms,the 2 being a building where the gas never goes off,never.

you've asked so here goes

if were to carryout a cp12 at one of the social landlords we have as a client,regardless of who came with me then I would not carryout a tightness test.

If my gsr inspector were to quiz me on it,I would
ask him to tell me where it says I should before me
pouting out where it says I don't have to.then as I know him,I'm
sure a heated debate would follow.

Food for thought,my last gsr inspection visited 2 sites, 1 where the use of the factories act made it hard for him to actually make any critisms,the 2 being a building where the gas never goes off,never.

Well i respect you for answering honestly i really do.
I would rather give up 4 minutes of my time and know im fine than not, but hey each to their own.

I think we can state that a T.T test is not mandotory for a L / T , however , as has been suggested by other's it is best practice , I am of the opinion that u should alway's , consider the what if scenario , & the view that might be taken by a high court judge ??? if an incident occured after a l/t was done , with say a gas escape , I doubt wether the excuse that a t/t was not mandotary would go down to well ?? the same excuse given by a landlord e.g I insrtructed the service engineer not to carry out a t/t because it is not mandotary , & Iwill not pay is not going to go down to well ??? on that basis Kirkgas & nogoodatfaultfinding ect are correct that a t/t should be carried out it's 99.9% ??? mandotary ??? I doubt even the excuse I would have done it , offered to do it but the L/L would not pay would wash either ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back