air test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. could anyone explain what an air test refers to when testing gas pipe? i did a landlords check and the gas meter was removed just carcass in place , capped off etc etc. however another engineer said i should have done an air test on the installation pipework! he didnt seem to know himself and walked off!!

Sponsored Links
are you corgi - surely any gasman would know

You cannot do a landlords safety check without gas present!

Tony

for housing assocation. have to attended to make sure tenant hasnt installed meter since last visit

Sponsored Links
You cannot do a landlords safety check without gas present!

Tony

What he said. I would assume by air test he meant pressure test if it's new pipework, otherwise it's just the standard let-by and soundness tests.

The carcass pipework has to be be tested as per IGE/UP/1a, before the meter is in place.

How do they do a pressure test on the pipework?
WOuld that be done using a small compressor & a pressure meter?

The carcass pipework has to be be tested as per IGE/UP/1a, before the meter is in place.

Close...it's IGE/UP/1B - 1A is for larger installations (over 0.035m3, or where the meter size is greater than 16m3/h), generally this is non-domestic, although of course some very large domestic properties are also covered by 1A. However, I doubt a Housing Association property is that big!

You make yourself up a jig with a test nipple and some busen burner type control taps and spiggots. Pump up with a squashy rubber pumpy thingermyjigg like the one from a sphigmomanometer, then shut the taps to it and useing your guage on the test point you created test for a drop at 20 milibar (for natural gas) same way as if it were gas..

You can't test appliances though.

You could always take your own meter round with you to test appliances. (woops who said that?)

On a caravan site one year we had to rolly polly a 47k bottle around every static. right chaw, I never volunteered for that work again.

haven't got time to look so probably wrong!! but are we not meant to air test at 30mb?

IGE/UP/IB only covers tightness testing :rolleyes:

It does not cover Strength testing installation carcass pipework ;)

Pump up with a squashy rubber pumpy thingermyjigg like the one from a sphigmomanometer,

I prefer my unit with the integral compressor. Its a bit disconcerting when it decides there is not enough pressure and it has another go to a higher level! I hate hypertension!

Usually, I use a manually pressurised unit and Martha guesses whats required!

Tony

Another social housing dweeb here and a quick Q about air tests.

It's not unusual for our contractors to find no gas (and sometimes electric) on pre-pays at the annual gas safety inspection and service.

Usual practice is for them to do a tightness test with air and then cap off the meter with the tenant's permission. But I'm curious why an air test would be required if you are capping off the meter. Wouldn't whomever removes the cap would have the ultimately responsibility to ensure the tightness of the installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back