Gas pipe capped - tightness test required?

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

Had an old gas fire removed the other day, the fitter just cut the gas pipe, soldered on a cap and checked it with leak spray.

Is this a standard thing, I was expecting a tightness test.

Also, is a certificate usually done for minor jobs like that?

Sponsored Links
Was there an isolation valve that was used? If there was a complete loss of pressure in the gas supply, not only should a tightness test (TT) have been carried out, but also a purge and relight. A certificate isn’t required but paperwork is good practice. Is the property rented?

Yeah, isolation valve done at meter, pipe cut and capped, valve reopened.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The emergency control valve (ECV) isn’t what I was asking about, but since you’ve provided that information - yes a TT should have definitely been carried out and as I mentioned before, a purge and relight.

realistically he/she should have tested before capping, then test again after capping, if you only test after capping and there is a drop you wouldnt know if that drop was there before you started, for all the time it takes most pros will always test before and after

realistically he/she should have tested before capping, then test again after capping, if you only test after capping and there is a drop you wouldnt know if that drop was there before you started, for all the time it takes most pros will always test before and after
Yeah, that was my understanding...

Is there anything to prevent me (as a non-Gas Safe person) doing a tightness test myself to confirm that the system is fully sealed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back