Capping gas pipe - testing requirments

I'm inclined to say that the builder grabbed the chance to make a few extra quid by removing a gas fire that he thought was dead and capped off and it all went pear shaped for him... I have plenty of customers like that. I do think that his buddy should have shown his GS card or left some paperwork with his reg number on it though and he should have cut it off at the meter or where the pipe branches off... Certainly not capped it off in the wall and left it unprotected. I think that a fee for cutting the gas off correctly and safely is fair on production of proof that the gas man was gas safe registered.

If the customer is unsure then as has already been stated, gas safe will be pleased to inspect the situation.

Although some might, I am yet to find a NG engineer who would do anything other than isolate the supply at the meter and advise to get a Gas Gafe engineer to sort out the pipe work

Sponsored Links
or where the pipe branches off... Certainly not capped it off in the wall and left it unprotected. I think that a fee for cutting the gas off correctly and safely is fair on production of proof that the gas man was gas safe registered.

but payable by the builder who caused the prob in the first place :idea:

Although some might, I am yet to find a NG engineer who would do anything other than isolate the supply at the meter and advise to get a Gas Gafe engineer to sort out the pipe work

Sad but 99% true unfortunately.....
I know alot of the Northern Gas/United Utilities lads up here and they wont do naff all nowadays compared to back when it was Transco....
Wont even cap a cooker off at the elbow anymore....
Went to one the other day.... sheet said

"Customer reports strange smell around combi... no smell of gas, pass tightness test, no evidence of fumes and CO alarm not activated"... then he wrote in big letters..... "APPLIANCE IS IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS"

????????????????????????????????????
Why I asked him when I rang...... because he cant test for CO, then I advised him its concern for safety not ID, as that implies youve found something and clearly from your form you havent!!!

Off topic so sorry!! :oops:

Dawn.... just refuse to pay..... ring trading standards

Dawn, just a quick point u can tell the builder. If he had to make an emergency callout why didn't he ring 0800 111 999 for the gas transporter?they'd have capped it for free, usually the do it at the meter but I'm sure if the pipe was exposed he'd have done it there, plus tested the system to see it's all ok. Just ask him bet he back tracks, and also just say you aren't paying a thing until the 'plumber' comes round and shows you his ID card. Stand firm!!! Good luck
I did say to the builder that the whole event was hardly treated as an emergency, given that he called his mate who said he'd stop by "on his way home from work". So, 4 hrs later at about 3pm the guy turns up. (Geez, you plumbers have a short working day :LOL: )

I have refused to pay but in speaking to the builder I have invited the plumber to come back and do what I asked him which was cap it in the garage, and then test it, and I would happily pay for the service. Buildre's response was that he didn't think the plumber would be re-visiting my house. (That's fine cos I was hardly filled with confidence first time round.)

Sponsored Links
That sounds as if the builder knows the plumber is not registered for gas work !

Tony

Totally agree tony. Just say you aren't paying a penny it's his fault he didn't check it was dead, he's not qualified to take it out, and you've seen no competencies from the plumber, who I might add should stick to water.... Gas engineers need qualifications. Plumbers don't officially however decent ones will. Tell him to take a jump. The laws on your side.

The plumber has called me today - to protect his own reputation I think - to provide his gas safe details. He said he did test the cap with a leak spray. (Whatever he did, it must have only taken him 30 seconds while I went to turn the hot tap on to fire the boiler (at which point he was in the garage with the boiler making sure it lit, and then he would have had to make his way back to dining room, test the cap and then walk back into the hall because that's where he was standing when I came out of the utility room having turned the hot tap on and off.) I've no idea if that sounds feasible or not or if that is what constitutes testing - I'm not necessarily doubting him, just explaining how long he must have spent on testing. :?:

He said he would be happy to come back and cap it inthe garage but it would be chargeable. When I asked how much, his own rate is less than half the amount requested by the builder. :rolleyes:

Well he's not tested it properly then, he should have did a tightness test and is probably now worried that you take thing further. Spraying LDS is not the proper way to test.

How does he know there isn't another leak somewhere in your house if he has only sprayed the cap? He doesn't which is why is probably a bit concerned.

Frankly I would get someone else in to check the work for you own peace of mind.

Tony.

Its not correct, but is probably what a lot of GS people would because it takes just 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes!

Doing just that is even more likely when he is working on behalf of a builder!

Why dont you expect the builder to double the costs of his workers when he charges you?

Tony

But as no one was killed or even injured, those of us who have done Riddors know that its a waste of time!

In my case the unregistered installer whose boiler exploded resulted in a mere letter to the landlord asking that he uses a CORGI next time.

Tony

an uncontrolled release of gas is RIDDOR reportable, the answer to a question not advice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back