Capping gas pipe - testing requirments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please could someone advise me what is legally required (or good practice) when capping off a gas pipe. Should any testing be carried out after capping to test the seal? Also, should any paperwork be provided?

Have looked around the internet and can't seem to find much on what is legally required about post-capping testing.

Thanks
Dawn

Sponsored Links
ask your GSR engineer as they are the only ones allowed to do this (lets avoid the usual row chaps :) )

No requirement for a "capping off"cert as far as I know

but you should get an invoice from the company

:)

Gas off, cap on, gas on, test pipework & fitting, purge and relight.

All done by a gas safe reg engineer. Paperwork is optional i think for independants (we have to leave paperwork for BG) but covers the engineers arse.

I forgot to put test installation before working on it. :oops:

Sponsored Links
...Have looked around the internet and can't seem to find much on what is legally required about post-capping testing.
That's because it depends on what is capped off, where and why.
It would help if you explain what you are actually try to find out.
A dangerous appliance being disconnected has a different procedure from an obsolete pipe being disconnected.

Thanks guys. Pablo, what constitutes testing? WOuld testing take place at the cap or at the supply/meter (or both)?

I'm a bit nervous that the capped pipe (seemingly untested) is now plastered into a wall!

Thanks guys. Pablo, what constitutes testing? WOuld testing take place at the cap or at the supply/meter (or both)?

I'm a bit nervous that the capped pipe (seemingly untested) is now plastered into a wall!

I test both at meter and around fitting.

Has the cap been soldered on before being buried?

If your concerned ring gas emergency service on 0800 111999 and get them to test it.

That's because it depends on what is capped off, where and why.
It would help if you explain what you are actually try to find out.
A dangerous appliance being disconnected has a different procedure from an obsolete pipe being disconnected.

Builder was removing a gas fire at my request and cut through live gas pipe as he thought pipe was capped. Builder then shut off supply, called plumber mate, plumber mate arrived half a day later, soldered pipe, turned on supply and was out the door in less than 5 mins - no testing or paperwork. Now builder wants inflated sum which is twice the local rate to have a gas pipe capped. Just considering the whole big picture at the mo. Am happy to pay the local rate for the service but not at his rate, and since it all seems to have been done in a hurry I don't even know if it's been done to regs. If I had been given option (knowing that it was an additional cost to me), I would have had the pipe capped in the garage, near the supply, and on a visible pipe, and not capped on a pipe that is now behind plaster on my dining room wall. :(

\Whoa

you are quite right to worry

get another gsr out to check it

sounds a tad dodge to me

sorry

Ben......lit fag usually indicates where a leak is....... :LOL:

Petit_pablo......apologies.......wrote mine before i saw your edit :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back