Landlord Safety Check

I thought a tightness test was mandatory on a landlords.

Sponsored Links
No arguements here Lee, you are spot on.
All visible pipework must be inspected, nothing about tightness test at all.
To be fair though, do you think that it makes sense ( peace of mind ) to carry out a TT?

why on my forms is there a box that says satisfactory gas tightness test ?
always done one and will still carry on

Sponsored Links
To be fair installation pipework visible or otherwise isn't covered by a safety check.

For peace of mind,that's up to the engineer carrying out the check.

there is no requirement to check all rooms on a landlords safety check.. if you see the fire then you need to act but if you dont then you have done what you are required to do..
I'd agree with this, if you tightness tested and it was ok, and you've listed the appliances that you were requsted to test, and whether they were safe or not, you've done what you should. List any other appliances you see and mark them as "not requested to test".

And if you miss or don't list a cooker with a drop down lid, then it may call into question your tightness test.

and what exactly makes you believe your required to carryout a tightness test.

Never said there was a requirement; merely pointing out that if performed, a tightness test could be questioned if a cooker with a drop down lid was missed.

Any landlord that didn't require a tightness test at annual inspection would be very foolish indeed.

All private landlords have to have a valid CORGI gas safety certificate for all the gas equipment in the accommodation they rent out. Gas safety certificates can only be given by CORGI registered gas engineers and are valid for 12 months or until the tenancy changes hands. In order to give a gas safety certificate the engineer has to check:

* THE GAS SUPPLY
* gas appliances
* gas flues
* ventilation

Landlords must keep copies of the inspection report and certificate and should keep records of any works carried out. You can ask for a copy. If the gas engineer notices any problems the landlord has to fix them. If a landlord fails to do this or fails to provide a gas safety certificate it is a criminal offence. The Health and Safety Executive can prosecute.

If the gas engineer identifies any problems with the gas equipment, the landlord has to get a CORGI registered gas engineer to carry out the works required. The gas engineer has the power to seal off any faulty equipment or request the gas company (TRANSCO) to cut off the supply to the property.

It might be on the form , but as far as I am aware a tightness test is not mandatory !!!!????

* THE GAS SUPPLY
* gas appliances
* gas flues
* ventilation

where does it say he has to carry out a tightness test?

you my friend are digging a hole ;) beware.

ps No one is suggesting they don't or its not good practice to carry out a TT just its not mandatory.

if we are joining one camp or the other i say TT required on LGSC as the landlord has to confirm safety of gas carcass (you could split hairs and say visual, LDF, electronic detector etc) but that wont confirm safety, it isnt written that a TT is required but as i have said a landlord needs to pay me to check and confirm the gas carcass that he owns is safe, the only way i can do that is visual inspection & TT, totally different doing a private safety check, repair or service. not arguing against my own post but just because it is on a CORGI CP12/1 doesn't make it mandatory, it just shows the form up as not being perfect, it should have 2 boxes 1 to say TT caried out Y/N, and a 2nd to record the result, i like the forms that have a space to record start/finish pressure as well, (this will start another debate about whether we should be leaving a drop :LOL: )

oh dear,

lets fill in those holes.

gents if this was the place to discuss which really it isnt id recommend a good read of the regs,paying particular note to the following

pg 65 guidance 219
26.9 and the 4 items
appendix 1

what a landlord should offer and the work required for a safety check are quite different.If you think because a form says something it must be done your very much mistaken.

oh dear,

gents if this was the place to discuss which really it isnt id recommend a good read of the regs,paying particular note to the following

pg 65 guidance 219
26.9 and the 4 items
appendix 1

what a landlord should offer and the work required for a safety check are quite different.If you think because a form says something it must be done your very much mistaken.

Put it on the CC then.
You really beleive on a GAS SAFETY check that you should NOT carry out a soundness test?

oh dear,

pg 65 guidance 219
26.9 and the 4 items
appendix 1

Spot on. Be a shame to take it to the CC as this debate could be quite useful to landlords.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back