Hands Up Who Likes Landlords!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me tell you a very short story.. I went to a property in Croydon, SURREY (Name and address withheld for the obvious reasons) to do 6 Gas Checks on the bedsits within this house.
I started at the top and worked my way down..
Bedsit 1... Radiant fire installed on a beautiful hearth of ply wood and safety device not working and no ECV within property.
Bedsit 2... Radiant Gas Fire installed on another beautiful sheet of ply wood, no closure plate tape used and radiant smashed, again the Safety device was not working.Gas hob also badly damaged.
Both of these are as you boys know classified as ID. So they were capped off as per requirements.The tenant in the second flat told me that in the 2 years he had been there no Gas Safety Check had been done.
I met the landlord on the stairs and told him of the volume of faults I had found in these 2 bedsits, he then refused to let me in to the others saying that " I will just get all the gas ripped out and they can have electric fires and cookers" He paid me for the work I had done and asked me to leave. I was very worried that the other flats may have the same ID situations waiting to cause harm to either the tenants or the property so I thought that maybe a call to CORGI technical may be in order to vent my worries about these unseen bedsits. They have told me that I do NOT need to contact TRANSCO because the rooms I had inspected had been made safe, and the ones that I had not been able to gain admission to were not of concern to me and the landlord is liable for the Gas Checks not being done. This maybe the legal standing but what about the moral one !!! This does not sit right with me... I as a Gas operative have a "Duty Of Care" and that in my eyes is to the tenants NOT the landlord.
There may well be women/ children in these remaining bedsits !!!!
I know I have done the legal thing but I still feel like I may have left a potential hazzard...
Any Comments Please...
One final question..
Two NTCS = AR but does two AR = ID on the same appliance.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, this is a DIY forum, not a legal advice centre. I agree you have a point, and for your consience, you need to do what you think. However this is NOT the place. You need a legal advisor, your insurance company might do. What you don't need is this forum.

You will never forgive yourself if there is an incident or worse a fatality.
I would be inclined to revisit property when there is a likelyhood of all tenants being at home and explain your concerns.
Then if they choose to ignore your advice at least you will have eased your conscience and done the diligent thing.

Sponsored Links
Oilman.... Mmmmmmmm
I did already say that I know that I am legally covered by using the "Industry unsafe situations procedure" I was using this just as a Topic for comment about what others would do from a moral stand point NOT a legal one.Or is this just a Forum for telling people that they can't touch their boiler because they are not CORGI registered.
Please read thoroughly before commenting.!!!

Kevplumb... Yes that is what I seem to remember, but CORGI say no that only works from NTCS upgraded to AR, not for AR to ID. I think that is a little strange as well. I am starting to wonder if I called Council Of Registerd Gas Installers or the CORGI owners club. Ha ha.

Hi Stulew, I fully sympathise with your dilemma and would do as Bahco has said and maybe contact Transco as well, *******s to legality you have a concience, I think CORGI's answer stinks, we are talking lives here, not arguing over regulation politics, well done for bothering, a refreshing change in the climate we all live in.

The easiest thing to do is to let Croydon Council know that this property is let as a HMO i.e. House in Multiple Occupation. It's highly likely that this landlord hasn't registerd it and has contravened all sorts of other regs such as fire alarms,means of escape in a fire and washing facilities. I guarantee the Council will be interested.
Some years ago I used to let a 3-storey house as bed-sits before the registration scheme was introduced so I know how keen the Councils are to remove sub-standard housing if the landlord does not co-operate.

Aye get onto the council tell them the other flats have no landlords certificate because you were ushered out the door.

Council-definitely. Inland Revenue-worth a call. Get invited in by the tenants and cast an eye- absolutely. Firk 'im the evil git.

I will be ringing the Council in the morning..
I understand the Non legal arguments request on this Forum and I know the reasons for this. I just wanted to see if any other Registered Installers had come across similar situations. I am a great believer in the theory that if you do not know ASK.
Many Thanks Gents
I am off to find a Rumpole Of The Bailey forum to ask my legal questions..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back