Landlord certificate question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Just a quick question....

I am a Landlord to a flat and every year I have the gas cooker and boiler checked (Landlord certificate) by a gas engineer. He fills in a form and gives me a copy/the tenant a copy.

This means that all the gas appliances are safe to use/I have done my legal duties.

If something did go wrong with the cooker for eg and the tenants complained of fumes/monoxide would I be liable still? Or is this just me thinking scared due to an incident in the paper a while back??

Thanks for your kind help
Trevor

Sponsored Links
Your appliances are deemed safe at the time of inspection it is not a guaranttee that nothing can go wrong. Your car has an MOT every year but if your brakes did not feel right six monthes later who is responsible. It is the owner of the car, it is the same for your gas appliances.
You have cared for your responsibility by having the LL safety check but if the tennant report a fault you are resposible to have it instected.

Agree with peruse and just to add a further comment I would install an approved Carbon Monoxide detector

If I was a land lord ? the only gas appliance I would have in the property is a roomsealed boiler , no fire's ,no cooker's !!!

Sponsored Links
have look at it may just not like the hob
but you may just better get it checked just in case

Hi

Thanks you for your replies.

I have a cooker and a boiler (boiler has flue out of wall)

I believe most people have gas cookers, much better than electic.

They are checked annually, the bloke who does it too be honesgt does a really good job, uses flue annalyser as well to check the flue of the boiler and cooker combustion, he seems really good at his job anyway.

I have a monoxide alarm in kitchen and hall where appliances are sited.

You are clearly a GOOD LANDLORD!! by having an annual service and safety cert (CP12) you are clearly demostrating that you are serious about gas safety, CO Alarms shows "best practise" as long as you respond to gas repair requests that you recieve then no court in the land would ever convict you for neglect in regard to gas safety.

It's a pity all landlords are not as responsible! ;)

Thank you :)

When you say gas repair requests, do you mean like a boiler breakdown? I just have a landlord certificate evry year, is this same as a servive or similar?

One other point, are gas cooker's not good then? I have always had gas cookers nin my house too, they seem ok.

Well done Trevor i totally agree with boilerman,you seem like an excellent landlord more of an exception then the norm .I cannot see you having any problems and you have carried out your duties above and beyond what is required

If you look on profile you will see some photos of neglect by landlords,where on BBU i have had to cap the boiler

If you have your Boiler Serviced yearly, with a Landlords Cert (CP12) this is like having a Car MOT, if you rent your car to somebody for reward and they report a smell of petrol, or that the Brakes don't seem to be working properly, you would get it into a Garage a bit sharpish as of course it would be your responsiblility if anything happend to the driver as a result of non-action The same applies to your House, so if the tennant complains that there is a smell from the cooker, or the boiler is banging, then of course you should get your excellent RGI arount to the property ASAP, the minimum you could do is tell the tennant to call the gas supplier (0800) 111999 they will attend and make safe within One hour, of course you will then have to get the appliance repaired by your RGI

Hope this rambling reply helps ;)

Thank you for all of your help, and kind words.

One final question if I may ask: what is the difference etween a Landlord Certificate and a Service?

Landlord Inspection = an inspection of Appliances to ensure that flues and ventilation are effective, that the appliances are burning the correct amount of fuel, the safety devices work and that the gas installation is gas tight and that a electrical earth bond is correctly fitted there is no pass or fail - just a report, however if there are serious problems these will be listed on an Advice/Warning notice and depending on the severity part of OR the whole installation may be disconnected.

Service = A dismantling cleaning and checking of appliance components as listed in the manufacturers requirements for maintenance also a Flue gas Analyser is used to check the products of combustion and allow the engineer to trim the combustion settings if required
;)

A serice of a modern gas boiler doesn't always mean the boiler is dismantled/cleaned, as a lot of new boilers if touched inside/dismantled will break down after. I know this as my boile rwas serviced in April and the guy told me this. He did use a machine to test the flue combustion though.

Read my post again Ben I said "In accordance with manufacturers instructions for maintenance" if it states no need for strip down then no strip down, if it says clean heat exchanger then that is what should be done!!! (you would'nt be very pleased if you took your Vauxhall round to marshalls at ransomes europark and pay for a service only to find that the garage had only checked the exhaust emissions would you?) :confused:

I totally agree/understand. But I didn't have the boiler manual. He did take the case off, check a few things, did something at the gas meter and some match test around the case after. He did a good job though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back