Landlord Safety Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. need some advice here.
I did a landlord gas check 3 months ago and the landlady was out of country. The agent phoned me to say there was a disconnected gas fire on site and that the tenant says gas coming out of valve when it gas tap put on.

I said the landlady didnt mention anything about fires , disconnected or not. but I said I'd pop out and cap it off.

Would you classify this as ar or i.d?

If its a case of ripping up floorboards to cap off Im not doing it for free. I will cap off the meter and leave.

Am I at fault, as I wasn't told about the fire and could the agents report me to Gas Safe ?

Sponsored Links
dave....should have checked all rooms !!

i would just go and see whats required...ie cap it ?..wont take u 15 mins..job done

idid ask her and she said no. end of day you cant walk around peoples houses , it s really up to them to inform you i think

Not when it's your signature on the CP12! you should satidfy your self that you have checked for appliances all over the house (but not in the undies draw!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Never assume!

Your name on the cp12. Your liable.

David.

How can a disconnected fire leak gas when gas tap turned on?
dont they mean the user control knob, and if it is leaking gas when turned.

this is the normal function on the old fires.

...end of day you cant walk around peoples houses

Yes you can...and if they don't allow you then walk out...most customers haven't a clue whether thay have old gas fires etc.

How many customers know about drying compartments etc.

Can't tell you how many unplugged restrictor elbows I've seen....and a few with a fan gas cocks connected,live with an open pipe end

Better yet, if doing LGSR, simply write on the ticket that the tenant refused you access to rooms to check for gas appliances.

You will have shown you've attempted to discharge your duties, but have been prevented from doing so by their tenant.

It then becomes the landlord's problem, not yours -- and you can still bill 'em!

dave....should have checked all rooms !!

i would just go and see whats required...ie cap it ?..wont take u 15 mins..job done

there is no requirement to check all rooms on a landlords safety check.. if you see the fire then you need to act but if you dont then you have done what you are required to do..

there is no requirement to check all rooms on a landlords safety check.. if you see the fire then you need to act but if you dont then you have done what you are required to do..
I'd agree with this, if you tightness tested and it was ok, and you've listed the appliances that you were requsted to test, and whether they were safe or not, you've done what you should. List any other appliances you see and mark them as "not requested to test".

I'd agree with this, if you tightness tested and it was ok, and you've listed the appliances that you were requsted to test, and whether they were safe or not, you've done what you should. List any other appliances you see and mark them as "not requested to test".

And if you miss or don't list a cooker with a drop down lid, then it may call into question your tightness test.

Id also say, walk the system and check all rooms. The amount of open end pillar taps is unreal, just give a good knock on each room if house has been via keys from agent, knock and shout, still they'll not answer and you'll be checking a room where someone in bed :LOL: . ive worked on behalf of agents and been in houses for periods of time over half hour and you'll just hear foot steps to the bog, flush then the bedroom door shut again, or someone walk past....alright? yes you? fine. could be anyone.......

but back to the subject, if your signing for a property's gas pipework flues and appliances i would check each room most times but you also know properties and design types where old victorian will be worth checking each room for fires however 90's build prob would not,

its your name your descretion, if denied anything from tenant, note it down too. youve tried your best and no-one can ask anymore.

Id also say, walk the system and check all rooms. The amount of open end pillar taps is unreal, just give a good knock on each room if house has been via keys from agent, knock and shout, still they'll not answer and you'll be checking a room where someone in bed :LOL: . ive worked on behalf of agents and been in houses for periods of time over half hour and you'll just hear foot steps to the bog, flush then the bedroom door shut again, or someone walk past....alright? yes you? fine. could be anyone.......

but back to the subject, if your signing for a property's gas pipework flues and appliances i would check each room most times but you also know properties and design types where old victorian will be worth checking each room for fires however 90's build prob would not,

its your name your descretion, if denied anything from tenant, note it down too. youve tried your best and no-one can ask anymore.
Can see your point, you do have to take each job on its own merits; a key job - worth checking all rooms. If you're let in by a responsible adult surely it's the done thing to ask to check rooms, if they say no you make a note of it, even as far as checking flues, if you can't then say so on your paperwork and get someone to sign, if pos. But I still don't believe you have to test anything that isn't asked for.

And if you miss or don't list a cooker with a drop down lid, then it may call into question your tightness test.

and what exactly makes you believe your required to carryout a tightness test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back