Boiler filters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good filter product, with a removable visible glass bowl, suitable for fitting on the return side to a boiler? I am hoping to retrofit such a filter to all my boilers to prevent dirt entering the heat exchangers and DHW valves. :?:

Sponsored Links
Not with a glass bowl, but probably the most effective type is made by (amongst others) Spirovent. They do not suffer from increased resistance as the filter collects dirt, but the water must not have any sort of detergent in it as the dirt will be held in suspension.

Sponsored Links
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/graphics/7533.gif

Note in the return you usually can't put them the "correct " way round cos the contents would drop into the pipe. So put them in backwards if the water is rising. If you use a monster one there's no chance of restriction being a problem; eg a 1 1/2" one isn't expensive.

Some of the smaller ones have 2 filter gauzes. If yours has, don't use the fine filter. it can block v quickly.

Ref other post above, Inhibitors usually have wetting agents in them so would act like detergent.

Hi guys, gr8 info and help, I should probably admit at this point that I am an aircraft engineer first, and plumber a very poor second, so the term y strainer has not rung any bells. More info on this welcome. :p

OK, I recognise the Y strainer, have them on my power shower. The drawback being you can't see what's in 'em. I guess the spirovent type suffers from the same drawback. Looks as though there is a market (of at least one!) for a new design here.
Kev, I have posted my latest sitrep on my Vaillant system pressure leak. Any further ideas? Thanks guys. :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back