Boiler flame keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a property which has a fairly new Potteton CFL 50 gas boiler. (not under guarantee now) It was working fine till a couple of days back when I turned the water temp control to max. Next morning, woke up to find the pump running but no flame. So, no hot water and no heating.
Now the flame comes on sometimes, but keeps going out after 20-30 seconds. But sometimes, it keeps burning fine. The lockout light hasnt come on so far.
What could possibly be wrong? I opened the front cover to just to take a quick look, and found that there is no pilot light burning. Is that normal, does the flame light up automatically when the burner receives gas, or should there always be a pilot light. But if that were the case why would the flame go out once it was burning well. I am an absolute layman but I think the burner is starved of gas. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Potterton CFL isn't a complete designation - KIngfisher, Flamingo??
If you look around you'll probably find pilot lighting instructions - try inside the bit you took off.

Haleems said:
I have recently moved into a property which has a fairly new Potterton Kingfisher CFL 50 gas boiler. (not under guarantee now) It was working fine till a couple of days back when I turned the water temp control to max. Next morning, woke up to find the pump running but no flame. So, no hot water and no heating.
Now the flame comes on sometimes, but keeps going out after 20-30 seconds. But sometimes, it keeps burning fine. The lockout light hasnt come on so far.
What could possibly be wrong? I opened the front cover to just to take a quick look, and found that there is no pilot light burning. Is that normal, does the flame light up automatically when the burner receives gas, or should there always be a pilot light. But if that were the case why would the flame go out once it was burning well. I am an absolute layman but I think the burner is starved of gas. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, I can see some brownish oily fluid coming out from where the flue pipe is joined to the boiler. What does that mean? Could that be the reason why the flame keeps going out sometimes? PL advise.
Regards

Hi, BG's service engineer came and told me I need a new boiler. (or get this one repaired for 1100 approx. That is because there has been an oil leak and there is oil in the heat exchanger. Is that really that bad? Where has the oil come from and can the problem be fixed?
Any advice welcome from anyone with more experience.
Thanks

Haleems said:
I have recently moved into a property which has a fairly new Potteton CFL 50 gas boiler. (not under guarantee now) It was working fine till a couple of days back when I turned the water temp control to max. Next morning, woke up to find the pump running but no flame. So, no hot water and no heating.
so where did the oil leak come from :confused:
Thanks

how can you have an oil leak on a gas boiler
or am i missing something
if oil got into the combustion chamber i think the temp would burn it off
just a wild guess :)

Thanks Kev, Havent a clue. But I can see this oily brown fluid inside the boiler. About 30 ml in all. There is some near the fan, also at the point where the flue is fixed to the boiler and then right at the bottom, under the burner. Is there any kind of fluid sealed in the system somewhere, perhaps around the heat exchanger, which has somehow leaked?
Thanks

Surely you must have mis-heard the BG man. He would have been quite likely to suggest a new boiler because of a leaking heat exchanger, and condensed water vapour could run down the inside of the flue and be apparent around the joints. But absolutely no oil, unless.........where do you park you're car?!!!

You are right, he also suggested a new boiler. But tell me what do you mean by a leaking heat exchanger? Is there some oily stuff in there somewhere, and if yes,what is better? To get it replaced, or to get a new boiler? I have asked the Potterton guy to come and take a look, but they come at a price! I can definitely tell you that the liquid I am telling you about is sticky and brownish red in colur.
Regards

Folks, the Potterton engineer called today and he says that not much is wrong with the boiler. The reason it was not firing was that there was water in the fan. But even he couldnt say why the water looks and feels like oil, and why it is sticky. He took the fan out and it had about 100 ml of water. He drained it, put it back and the boiler fired immediately. I have since checked the flue, and there is a very very small trickle of water from where it goes through the roof. Drops of water are falling on to the loft floor, and I assume some water is flowing back down the flue. Now the question is that it has not rained here in days, so where is the water coming from? Is it condensation? More importantly, how do I get this problem fixed? Do I need to call in a builder to take a look from the outside, or is it something to be taken care of by a flue-man.
Regards

Folks, the Potterton engineer called today and he says that not much is wrong with the boiler. The reason it was not firing was that there was water in the fan. But even he couldnt say why the water looks and feels like oil, and why it is sticky. He took the fan out and it had about 100 ml of water. He drained it, put it back and the boiler fired immediately. I have since checked the flue, and there is a very very small trickle of water from where it goes through the roof. Drops of water are falling on to the loft floor, and I assume some water is flowing back down the flue. Now the question is that it has not rained here in days, so where is the water coming from? Is it condensation? More importantly, how do I get this problem fixed? Do I need to call in a builder to take a look from the outside, or is it something to be taken care of by a flue-man.
Regards

going by your description you need to have a tee in the ftue at the bottom with a condensate drain on it
cant really advise without seeing it

Well how long will it take you to travel to Barkingside from Afghanistan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back