Boiler flue - am I being told the truth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother's Worcester Heatslave 2+ floor-standing boiler has a flue which enters the wall at a 45 degree angle and then vents into an existing chimney. To the best of my knowledge, after entering the chimney breast, there are no further kinks/angles for the exhaust gasses to contend with. The only way is up!

My mother's boiler needs replacing and the two heating engineers she has contacted seem unwilling to replace her existing set-up with a similar one. They say that a flue which enters a chimney breast is not safe or permissible. This will add a lot of extra cost to the boiler replacement and be far more disruptive as a separate flue will have to enter the ceiling directly above the boiler, be taken through the attic void and an opening made in the roof. Expensive!£££ It would be much simpler (and therfore cheaper) to use the same exhaust route as the existing boiler - i.e. vent into the existing chimney.

What I'm interested to know is this: is my aging mother being spun a line to suit the economic interests of the plumbers she has contacted or is it now actually illegal to run a flue into a chimney breast?
(I am assuming that the chimney has a modern flue liner so please could you make the same assumption in your reply).

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
its not illegal to run a flue inside a chimney, the problem is not all boiler manufacturers can or want to supply a flexible flue like this...

http://www.poujoulat.com/poujoulat/newUK/pdf/Brochure01052008_Flexcondens.pdf

and were not allowed to use anything other than the manufacturers flues, perhaps the 2 heating engineers didint know or didint want the hassle of finding out if it is possible, have a look at halstead boilers , I think they do something along these lines.

Perhaps the 2 guys knew that very few manufacturers would allow the flue system you put a link to.
Halstead a boiler very few people would recommend .

In reality both guys where giving your mother truthfull advice.

Picasso the poujoulat system can use extension kits how would these joints be inspected in a chimney also the rules say a flue liner should be in one continous length. So that would be another no no

Sponsored Links
You are making a wrong assumption that the boiler flue just enters the chimney.

That may be the case but for a long while any boiler flued that way had to have a liner.

Modern boilers are condensing and have a different flue arrangement and are not suited for fluing up a chimney and those will add about £1000 to the cost.

Far better to use the normal methods of fluing.

Tony

namsag the poujoulet system is one continous length of pipe, no joins except where it connects to the boiler flue, viessmann also do a similiar setup, I personally wouldent go through the hassle of organising something like this but the op wanted to know if there was a different approach, there is a different way of doing it if he wants to pay, at least he has the options.

Read your link it speaks of extension kits so it would have to be a join

I have read my link, it comes in 7 and 10 metre lengths, if your chimney is longer than 10 metres dont use it,

obviously didnt read it that well as it also comes in 13m and 16metre lengths :rolleyes:

yea thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes: , good to know someone is watching out for those all important details.

I think (without seeing the job) a normal vertical flue would be a lot cheaper or even relocate the new boiler.

I think (without seeing the job) a normal vertical flue would be a lot cheaper or even relocate the new boiler.

I agree with this but the op asked if it was possible to run flue inside a chimney (he seems to think it will be cheaper)it is possible but its not a cheap option.

I agree with this but the op asked if it was possible to run flue inside a chimney (he seems to think it will be cheaper)it is possible but its not a cheap option.

You can buy boilers that are suitable for flue liners.

But are we talking gas or oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back