Boiler Flue Extension

So where is the reference to the case?

County Court judgements do not set any legal precedent!

Sponsored Links
Sorry.... me again.

Need some advice re regulation etc my neighbour is an idiot.

So basically we have decided we will replace our boiler install new flue etc as this seems the best option for all involved. We have a few people coming tomorrow to give quote etc.

Anyway we have informed our neighbour that their building regs guy is wrong and we cannot and will not simply extend the pipe up or across as it is both dangerous and illegal. We explained we are in the process of getting a new boiler but could take a few weeks.

His response was simply he cannot wait and will replace the pipe himself. We have told him no as this is illegal and he said he doesnt care. He is polish so not sure if he understands english law.

Anyway can anyone help! Surely he has to just wait? Will speaking to his building regs guy help?

Building Regs is policed by Building Control at the local council. I'd give them a ring and ask the Building Control Officer to come out and have a look. (Just possible they may not be completely aware of the neighbours intentions.... BCO is responsible for making sure the work complies with regs.)

As adl has said, he CANNOT touch your flue without your permission. Doing so could/would leave you with an extremely dangerous gas appliance. If he attempts to touch it involve the Police.

Sponsored Links
Anne, what ios the position of the flue terminal in relation to the boundary.

Do NOT let the neighbour temper with your boiler flue.

...His response was simply he cannot wait and will replace the pipe himself. We have told him no as this is illegal and he said he doesnt care. He is polish so not sure if he understands english law.
Criminal damage in the first place, if he breaches the gas safety rules ( more than likely ) he would also endanger your health.

Thanks for the responses!

The pipe is actually on my land but plumes on to theirs. They have removed the partition wall to build their extension so the pipe is now accessable to them.

I understand that the pipe should never have been there at all but we are trying to sort it.

Anyway i have spoken to the council planning and they are going to get the surveyor who is doing next doors regs to ring me. Hopefully he can get through to them! All i have asked is that they hold off building a couple of weeks until i get a new boiler installed but apparantly thats unreasonable!

Just to avoid the "me no understand/know" excuse, send them a recorded letter stating in short simple sentences that the flue is yours, and not to be touched for safety reasons. Make it also clear that they will be liable for any and all cost if they do touch it.

I personally think it's unreasonable for them to expect that you get a new boiler just so they can build an extension, it's your boiler and up to you whether you get a new one or not. Granted your sunny delight isn't going to last forever but if it's working without any problems now then there's no reason to change it.

If you do go ahead and change, make sure you at least get something decent or you really will regret it if the new one suffers more problems than the one you have now.

the way they're acting I'd tell to get stuffed and your now keeping the boiler. If they want it sorting they'll have to pay for it. If they touch it in anyway they could be endangering your life and as its not theirs to touch, it would be a matter for the police and hse.

...But can you demonstrate any legal case law demonstrating any prescriptive rights being obtained from discharging POC over someone elses land?
There is precedent on this Tony. It is as bizarre as precedent on trespass.

I'm very interested by what you've said. I'm in a similar situation, if there is precendence I'd love it if you could point me in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back