Boiler flues too close to each other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was due to have a new boiler fitted today, but engineers have said that because my neighbour's house has a boiler flue directly opposite mine (across a shared alleyway) and less than 1.5m away, it doesnt meet the regulations so they cant install it.

Now, the solution is either to put the boiler somewhere else (not possible) or to install a pluming kit on both boilers to direct the flue ducts away from each other.

I am obviously willing to do this, but what if my neighbour refuses?! Do these regulations only affect the installation of a new system, or is there a legal requirement for both parties to get it sorted??? Naturally i am concerned about the dangers and want to get it fixed asap.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I think the first thing to do would be to have a friendly chat with the neighbour.

Are there no other options for fluing from your desired boiler position?

Now, the solution is either to put the boiler somewhere else (not possible) or to install a pluming kit on both boilers to direct the flue ducts away from each other.
According to Approved Document J Page 44, the distance has to greater than 1200mm. 1500mm is the distance between two flues vertically above each other on the same wall

In any case, I think you will find that only your boiler would need a pluming kit to raise your flue outlet above your neighbours by about 1500mm.

as you are fitting a boiler now your installation has to comply with todays regs, not your neighbours, if you fit a plume kit to yours your flue will be away from your neighbours so none of their fumes will get into your flue, so they dont need to change theirs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

It seems the minimum distance for a 'terminal facing a terminal' is 1200mm, not 1500mm. At the moment it is just less than 1000mm, so it is still not enough.

In any case, I think you will find that only your boiler would need a pluming kit to raise your flue outlet above your neighbours by about 1500mm.
if you fit a plume kit to yours your flue will be away from your neighbours so none of their fumes will get into your flue, so they dont need to change theirs.

Apparantly a pluming kit will emit fumes from my boiler upwards and away (flue duct) but will still take in air from lower down, so may still take in contaminated air from the opposite flue. If the neighbour gets a pluming kit also, then the problem will be solved.

as you are fitting a boiler now your installation has to comply with todays regs, not your neighbours
Even if the current setup does not meet these regulations? This is the bit I am not sure about. If I wasnt installing a new boiler, what would need to be done?
It may be the case that his boiler was installed after mine, so would that make his installation illegal?

Many thanks for any time spent thinking about this problem!!

technically the person who fitted the second boiler commited the offence as the dimension is from a terminal to another terminal, so the first boiler was facing a wall, but the reality of getting anything done about it now is nil, so it brings you back to fitting a new boiler today, your installer must comply with todays regs and cannot fit a new boiler too close to next doors, so a plume kit could be used, not fitted any but i thought they altered position of flue and air intake, (too late to google to check before posting, so i will take a chance of getting pelters :LOL: )

Just faced the same scenario today, (walls 850mm apart) i used an extension from the boiler up into loft, then elbowed straight out to get the 1200mm, is this not an option for your installer ? failing that could you not use a vertical flue ?

Most boilers have a kit which will get over the problem. Broag for example do several flueing options, that would solve the problem.

You should be aware of this little gem though.

Where the terminal is positioned directly opposite an opening
in the facing wall the min will be 2 m.

Some of the WB boilers are also 2m from a terminal facing a terminal.

Back to th first post.

One has to wonder why this problem was not picked up at the site visit to see what you needed to supply the quote, rather than when they turned up to install it :rolleyes: :confused:

One has to wonder why this problem was not picked up at the site visit

Well yes, it really should have! I think the installation engineers were keen to find out which of their colleagues did the inspection. :confused:

failing that could you not use a vertical flue ?

The boiler is in bathroom extension on 1st floor, which has a flat roof. Aparantly fitting a vertical flue with a flat roof is not ideal. Any clues as to why?

I am having this work done with the help of an eaga 'Warm Front' grant, so they have their own level of inspection on top of building regulations that the installation has to adhere to. They also only fit Valliant boilers, so any flue options are restricted to this.

That explains it. :eek:

Eaga "warm front", legalised cowboys inc.

Eaga "warm front", legalised cowboys inc.

Really? The fact that the installation must be inspected and approved by the scheme made me feel confident in accepting the work. Is there something I should know?! :confused:

Lets just say there's a lot of buddies in suits, leeching Tax Payers money and doing very nicely.

In the meantime the installer gets peanuts.

Eaga, also have a vested interest in who gets what jobs, as they have an interest in several large heating outfits. e.g. the companies they own get something like 75% of all the grants issued.

Don't expect the checking to be too critical.

Miss-use of Government funds come to mind, but that's all right if Bliar and Brown Nose is a member of the same club.

Politics aside, my issue is not with Warm Front at the moment. But thanks for the warning, I will be especially vigilant with further proceedings. :)

I have spoken with Gas Safe over the telephone. They have said that...

...if an existing setup doesnt meet regulations but is still deemed safe, then it would be labelled as 'Not current standards', but there is no obligation to change anything. If however any improvements are to be made then these must meet regulations.

I understand this, but what I forgot to ask is - if the neighbour's boiler was installed after the building regulations took effect, and does not meet the regulations, does this make their installation illegal? And are they then legally requried to change it?!

UPDATE...

Have had a conversation with said neighbour. Apparantly, having discussed with local council, he says that because his boiler has been there for over a year he doesnt have to do anything. And so he's not going to, even though it was his terminal that was re-sited opposite mine 7 years ago thus causing the problem.

ANYWAY..

Is there a plume kit available for Vaillant boilers which extends BOTH the air duct and the flue duct? Whereby I can extend both my plume and air supply in the same tube, then this will avoid having to involve my neighbour!

I look forward to your responses,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back