Boiler fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Firebird boiler(combi,outside) is wired to the light circuit main fuse.On holiday when my daughter switched light on it blew fuse (light)Now boiler not working.
I returned from holiday and replaced 5 amp fuse for boiler and light cicuit,Fuse blew.
Changed live for boiler into the other light cicuit fuse,Fuse blew.

Dissconnected main plug in boiler,reset fuses, lights ok.

Power off,connected main plug in boiler,power on,fuse blew for lights.
I think the problem is inside the boiler,any ideas.

Sponsored Links
seeing as you are stood there and not me (and won't listen)

you asked for ideas not diagnosis
check

pump
zone valve/s
fan
burner
oil pump
and anything else electrical :eek:

Sponsored Links
Its most often a pump.

Try disconnecting the pump and see if the boiler still blows the fuse.

Tony

Had my local engineer out.it was the frost stat that was burnt out.Replaced and everything working fine now

My Firebird boiler(combi,outside) is wired to the light circuit main fuse.On holiday when my daughter switched light on it blew fuse (light)Now boiler not working.
I returned from holiday and replaced 5 amp fuse for boiler and light cicuit,Fuse blew.
Changed live for boiler into the other light cicuit fuse,Fuse blew.

Dissconnected main plug in boiler,reset fuses, lights ok.

Power off,connected main plug in boiler,power on,fuse blew for lights.
I think the problem is inside the boiler,any ideas.

Kebabo,

Your boiler should not be connected to the lighting cct as it requires it's own 5 AMP supply, as you state your lighting cct is 5 AMP therefore, you will have either a BS 3036 rewireable fuse or BS 3871 pop out cct breaker, these are normaly used as straight plug in replacements for rewireable fuses by Part P1sh fast track/incompetent electricians instead of replacing the consumer unit.

Have your boiler supply rewired into the socket cct or back to the consumer unit via it's own dedicated supply. Also, it MUST be protected via an RCD.

Call a NICEIC electrician to do the work and use only OFTEC registered plumbers to carry out service/repair on your oil boiler.

Did the chap that fixed the boiler show you/leave you the defective part, as in all my time I have never heard of a burnt out frost stat as they are a normally open contact activated by a phial or bi-metallic strip. Therefore, do not usually carry a load.

It would be interesting to know how much you paid?

Most experienced people prefer to connect a boiler to a non RCD circuit.

Likewise a freezer!

Most experienced people prefer to connect a boiler to a non RCD circuit.

Likewise a freezer!

AGAIN!!!! Tony gob sh1te I know nothing and gets it all wrong.

Firstly the boiler is external therefore, outside the equipotential zone therefore, requires to be RCD protected. This was the case in the 16th edition wiring regs not just the 17th.

Secondly, under the 17th edition wiring regs all fixed wiring must be RCD protected if it is less then 50mm from the surface and/or not protected in an earthed metallic conduit. All equipment fixed to the installation if in an area of increased shock risk i.e bathroom or outside the equipotential zone must be RCD protected.

You protect freezers and fridges by putting them on a seperate RCBO.

Now we have only completed around 20 rewires this finnacial year and my business is NICEIC, GAS SAFE, OFETC and MCS registered.

Also, We have just signed a three year oil boiler, heating and tank work contract which, 60% are external boiler fits,

SO TONY YOU F$CKING IDIOT....DON'T COMMENT ON MATTERS YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED TO COMMENT ON.

I told you, stick to playing with BIASA boilers.....now disapear like you normally do and come back later when you think everybody has forgot what an a4se you have made of yourself AGAIN.

When will you ever learn :oops: :oops:

I dont appreciate your rude and abusive language and in my opinion that reflects badly on your politeness and education.

Boilers usually create a current to earth during ignition. Other domestic equipment also creates some leakage. For that reason many prefer to fit them to a non RCD circuit.

The OP said it was outside, I interpreted that to be in an outhouse or leanto. If its a stand alone external boiler then I agree the regs indicate it should be on an RCD circuit as external equipment.

Whilst you might connect freezers on a seperate RCD circuit, I have never seen any connected that way.

The OP in this case has fuses! No MCBs or RCDs just fuses and a boiler connected to the light circuit even though it may be externally mounted. Thats a long way from the current regulations but still typical of perhaps 10% of UK installations. I know an old lady with a 1936 installation with white ceramic fuses and surface mounted wiring. She and her daughter, both pensioners, say they dont have money to rewire their £500,000 house. Her son , a one legged dentist, could pay for it with one weeks earnings.

Tony

Agile";p="1737385 said:
I dont appreciate your rude and abusive language and in my opinion that reflects badly on your politeness and education.
Agile";p="1737385 said:
Because I don't like you or your type i.e. fast track idiots who know absolutely nothing.

Boilers usually create a current to earth during ignition. Other domestic equipment also creates some leakage. For that reason many prefer to fit them to a non RCD circuit.

No boilers do not create earth leakage problems, thats the technical term by the way. I wouldn't expect you to know that as you are neither aproppriately qualified or experienced.

Fridges and freezers do when the compressors start to age and may cause sensitive RCD's to trip.

The OP said it was outside, I interpreted that to be in an outhouse or leanto. If its a stand alone external boiler then I agree the regs indicate it should be on an RCD circuit as external equipment.

Well if you were TIMESERVED and experienced in all aspects of the plumbing and heating trade, you would know that oil boiler manufacturers have external models and the OP has stated combi/external.

If it is in an outhouse it is NOT external as it is still within the equipotential zone of the building. Are you following this or am I loosing you grandad?

Whilst you might connect freezers on a seperate RCD circuit, I have never seen any connected that way.

What one RCD just for a freezer, you mean RCBO...there is a difference :rolleyes: You have never seen any that way because you are a short course gas idiot and have never served your time and only repair cr4ppy boilers.

When you train properly i.e. apprenticeship, you see many different situations during your time, YOU and many like you do not have this EXPERIENCE! this is why apprenticeships are the only way to qualify properly.

The OP in this case has fuses! No MCBs or RCDs just fuses and a boiler connected to the light circuit even though it may be externally mounted.

Firstly bawbag! the OP may have an MCb as I have stated 'BS3871' pop out MCB's for straight replacement of rewireable BS3036 fuses.

The clue was when the op said 5AMP, both the above protective devices are 5AMP, see experience and appropriate training tells you this of which, YOU HAVE NEITHER.

Thats a long way from the current regulations but still typical of perhaps 10% of UK installations. I know an old lady with a 1936 installation with white ceramic fuses and surface mounted wiring. She and her daughter, both pensioners, say they dont have money to rewire their £500,000 house. Her son , a one legged dentist, could pay for it with one weeks earnings.

The wiring regulations are not retrospective and in that I mean, you do not have to update your fixed wiring when the regs change.

However, if you add or modify an existing cct i.e. fit a new shower or fit a new boiler spurred of the ring main, then that cct or part of needs to comply with the CURRENT REGULATIONS.

So! unless the OP's boiler was fitted pre 1991 first edition of the 16th edition wiring regulations, the work does NOT comply.

Then again you would probably argue about the 1st edition of the wiring regualtions dating from 1882 as you are an old fool, judging by your gas safe photo :LOL:

You have also failed to notice that the boiler is fitted to a 5amp lighting cct when the boiler itself requires 5AMP protection :oops: FFS IDIOT

I wonder how many installs old tony's done that don't comply, HOW THE MIGHTY 'so called mind you' FALL.

I await more of your diatribe old man, trying to riggle AGAIN out of something you have made an a4se of yourself in.

If you need to know anything about plumbing, heating, electricals, renewables, oil, gas or LPG old man just ask.....I'll put you right!

I wonder if old tony will admit he's wrong or just hide or better still bleat to admin and have the thread removed?

If you are as competent as you like to imply then why do you have to hide your identity?

Would you like to explain, in proper technical words, why a fridge compressor might produce a current to earth?

Apprenticeships were generally for people who left school at 16 to "learn a trade". A long time ago they did give good experience when the trainee was going to work in the firm for a long time.

More recently they have mostly been cheap labour doing simple repetitive tasks like installing heating systems.

I wonder if you saw the Peltier effect device at Installer Live?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back