Worcester Bosch Fuses keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chritsmas Day typical, my 8 year old kids not well and we get a power cut.

After some time and obviously some *uck*ng about by the engineers due the the lights flashing intermittently the electricity comes back on?

Trouble is now the boiler has packed up? I checked the power to it and there was 240v going to it, MCB hadn't tripped out, main 3A fuse was good, however the small T2a fuse had blown.

I replaced this with the spare behind the cover and then the 3A mains fuse blew and the MCB tripped. Changed the fuse reset the MCB.

After resetting I checked and I was still getting 240v to the boiler. Switched it all on again, the blue light flashed very quickly and the small T2A fuse then blew.

The result is it's -4 and we have no heating or hot water on Boxing day! What a Christmas?

Any suggestions as Bosch manual is very basic, i,e change fuse, it all else fails change circuit board! very helpfull!

Sponsored Links
Please be aware firstly that I am not a heating engineer.

Are there any plugs on the boiler print? Unplug them and replace the fuse. Does it still blow? If the fuse blows with nothing connected to the print then the print must be dead.
I would ask your neighbours if their boilers and electrical equipment has survived. Also phone your electricity supplier and see if you can lodge a complaint with them.
HTH.

No plugs it's hard wired into the wall with 3a fuse? I replaced this.

Either that fuse blows and the MCB trips out or the small one on the circuit board blows!

Sponsored Links
You need to work out what is blowing the fuse by isolating the circuits from the print.
Maybe time to get someone in to have a look?

My brother sounds the right bloke, he's an air quality engineer and he's always fixing stuff like this?

Hi, Always worth an ask!
Something must be blowing the fuse, its either the print or something connected to it....
Have you phoned your electricity company to complain?

A "model identifier" of the boiler might help, there are several diferent Worcester boilers.

It's a Greenstar 24Ri. My brother is round and it looks like the transformer and a bridge rectifier have gone.

I've emailed a fault/complaint to British Gas our supplier and they'll have to repair the damage. They aren't answering the phones at the moment so I'll have to wait.

It's a Greenstar 24Ri. My brother is round and it looks like the transformer and a bridge rectifier have gone.
If your bro has diagnosed that then he'll be able to easily repair it too.

I've emailed a fault/complaint to British Gas our supplier and they'll have to repair the damage.
If that's what you think I dare say you ought to get down the Boxing Day sales and pick up a few heaters... BG are unlikely to accept liability for something like this.

Mathew

We'll see, I can't see how they can't pay for the damage, the only way components get destroyed like that is when there are power surges.

I'll get my brother to do full engineers report and if they want to argue then smalls claim court, a load of bad publicity and Watchdog will be waiting for them!

We'll see, I can't see how they can't pay for the damage, the only way components get destroyed like that is when there are power surges.

I'll get my brother to do full engineers report and if they want to argue then smalls claim court, a load of bad publicity and Watchdog will be waiting for them!

Best of luck - But I think you'll find that they have themselves covered against claims by their " Conditions of supply ".

been there, done that. I dont think you will scare them.

Haha, good luck. For a start, it's not the supplier's fault. It's the same electricity goes to your and your neighbours, regardless of who you pay for it. Secondly, if you check through your T&C's, you will almost certainly find that what you have already been told is true; that is, the supplier will accept no liability for damage caused by surges and the like.

I looked into this recently after suffering a damaged Xbox and UPS due to a power surge, the net result being that I have a (still to be fitted) surge protector for the entire house, a new UPS, and an Xbox awaiting repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back