Boiler fuse keeps blowing

If you are as competent as you like to imply then why do you have to hide your identity?

More competent, more experienced and more qualified than you that I guarantee! I don't hide my identity, I just wouldn't put my details up on an open internet forum, only fools do that.

Would you like to explain, in proper technical words, why a fridge compressor might produce a current to earth?

The RCD trips when the compressors start up, there is a surge in current therefore a surge in leakage current. This is due to how the motor and it's windings are constructed, they introduce a capacitance.

Other equipment like IT equipment and their power supplies also trip RCD's due to high earth leakage current. This is due to this type of equipment having noise filters, basicaly capacitors between L & E, N & E.

When power is applied these capacitors see numerous frequency's added together and a capacitors impedance reduces as the frequency increases creating a larger earth leakage at the point of switch on.

Apprenticeships were generally for people who left school at 16 to "learn a trade". A long time ago they did give good experience when the trainee was going to work in the firm for a long time.

No they are not just for 16 year olds and they are still the only way to train properly in a trade subject, I have an apprentice at the moment and he is exposed to all aspects of the plumbing and heating trade, renewables and will be taught some electricals when in the fourth year.

He when qualified will be a well trained operative who would wipe the floor with any short course chump when in the third year no problem.

I wonder if you saw the Peltier effect device at Installer Live?

No I didn't, I don't have time like you and other one man bands and there tin pot empires, sitting around all day waiting for the phone ring for a cr4ppy boiler repair.

I have a business to run, employees wages to pay and work to quote/estimate for whilst tendering for local authority/government contracts.

Now lesson over! when are you going to admit you were WRONG or are just a total egotistical, inexperienced and under qualified a4rsehole.

Sponsored Links
agile said:
If you are as competent as you like to imply then why do you have to hide your identity?

whats the big obsession with people using "usernames"
is agile your real name ???

as mine is kev

me i just don't give a damn who knows who i am :rolleyes:

I don't hide my identity, I just wouldn't put my details up on an open internet forum, only fools do that.

In that case why dont you email me and introduce yourself properly? Or even telephone me?

My Firebird boiler(combi,outside) is wired to the light circuit main fuse.On holiday when my daughter switched light on it blew fuse (light)Now boiler not working.
I returned from holiday and replaced 5 amp fuse for boiler and light cicuit,Fuse blew.
Changed live for boiler into the other light cicuit fuse,Fuse blew.

Dissconnected main plug in boiler,reset fuses, lights ok.

Power off,connected main plug in boiler,power on,fuse blew for lights.
I think the problem is inside the boiler,any ideas.

Kebabo,

Your boiler should not be connected to the lighting cct as it requires it's own 5 AMP supply, as you state your lighting cct is 5 AMP therefore, you will have either a BS 3036 rewireable fuse or BS 3871 pop out cct breaker, these are normaly used as straight plug in replacements for rewireable fuses by Part P1sh fast track/incompetent electricians instead of replacing the consumer unit.

Have your boiler supply rewired into the socket cct or back to the consumer unit via it's own dedicated supply. Also, it MUST be protected via an RCD.

Call a NICEIC electrician to do the work and use only OFTEC registered plumbers to carry out service/repair on your oil boiler.

Did the chap that fixed the boiler show you/leave you the defective part, as in all my time I have never heard of a burnt out frost stat as they are a normally open contact activated by a phial or bi-metallic strip. Therefore, do not usually carry a load.

It would be interesting to know how much you paid?

The frost stat was burnt out I seen it but also needed a vac relay,I may have blown that as I wired the stat wrong.stat cost £24 its not fitted yet,heating ok.

Sponsored Links
other one man bands and there tin pot empires

I bit rich old fellow. I am a one man band. I do not have to sit waiting for the phone to ring, calls from old and new clients just keep coming in. I take it you wrote above in heat of passion.

By the way, my motto is when one starts saying how good he is, he starts forgetting his weak points and failings.

[

Apprenticeships were generally for people who left school at 16 to "learn a trade". A long time ago they did give good experience when the trainee was going to work in the firm for a long time.

No they are not just for 16 year olds and they are still the only way to train properly in a trade subject, I have an apprentice at the moment and he is exposed to all aspects of the plumbing and heating trade, renewables and will be taught some electricals when in the fourth year.

If you had a 16 y.o. son who had just got 11 GCSEs with a sprinkling of grade "A"s and "B"s then would you really be advising him to leave school to do an apprenticeship? Or woudl you be expecting him to take "A" levels and go to uni?

Even my rasta car mechanic was pleased that his daughter has just been admitted to the bar !

My daughter has just passed her GCSEs 7As and one A* cannot wait until she makes the bar - and buys her Dad a pint ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back