Boiler has trapped air? after adding 4 radiators. help pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some help. I have an old stelrad Ideal e-type boiler (30 years) and all was working fine. I then decided to add 4 radiators to the system. Drained the system, added the radiators, filled the system again after unblocking the expansion tank (think this was an air lock) but now I have another probelm.

When I turn on the heating I can hear the boiler making noises as if its filling with water or gurgling. The boiler sometimes starts up and I think begins to heat the water but then turns off after about 1 min.

im thinking I have some ait trapped in the boiler but I've no idea how I can remove it. p.s. Its an open vented system and the radiators have been bled.

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
ok tried to bleed the pump and all look sok. Took the skrew out the middle and a little water came out.

Put the boiler back on and it ran ok for about 2 min befor sutting off. Again I could hear noises from the boiler that sound like water gurgling.

Getting very cold now.

I was also confused by the bleed valve described in the FAQ in my last post. What should this look like?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Put the boiler back on and it ran ok for about 2 min befor sutting off. Again I could hear noises from the boiler that sound like water gurgling.
bleed it again. turn the speed to max.

I was also confused by the bleed valve described in the FAQ in my last post. What should this look like?

Thanks.

maybe a thumb screw vent on a vertical pipe on the flow into the cylinder.

blr23.jpg

Right. The pump is working so no luck so far.

I have however noticed a "Port Zone Valve" (I think - http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalo...rch&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=Feed1)

so I'm now thinking I need to drain the system again, set the zone valve to open instead of auto (which I assume is closed when the heating is off and is controlled by the thermostat on the wall?) Once I do that and fill the system again it might let the water flow through the boiler and release any trapped air.

Am I going in the right direction or am I just being a bit thick and should I give up!?

On with plan D me thinks....

bleed it again. turn the speed to max.

Thanks.

maybe a thumb screw vent on a vertical pipe on the flow into the cylinder.

blr23.jpg

Thanks for getting back. Just tried to bleed it again with the same result. Off to check the cylinder again now.

also tried to turn the pump up to the max with no luck. I cant see because of the angle but I assume the three settings are speed settings? its on the max now and I can feel the pump vibrating a little. Almost like a little hum.

yes any valves should be in manual open position when filling.

but i have even forgot myself before and all ways managed to shift the air providing the pumps not airlocked and pumping.

also tried to turn the pump up to the max with no luck. I cant see because of the angle but I assume the three settings are speed settings? its on the max now and I can feel the pump vibrating a little. Almost like a little hum.

yes thats the pump speed is both the pipes getting hot either side ?
put hw/heating on.

theres many ways of mucking about to free air depending on the system layout.
ie by stopping/starting the pump etc

the pipes only get slightly warm on both sides - its hard to tell - , and I mean slightly as the boiler isnt on long enough to heat them any further.

I thought I'd post some picks of the system to help. At leas I hope so. I still can't find the bleed valve on the cylinder tho. Check out the pics below.

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

wheres that pump ? in the loft etc.

don't look like you have a vent to the cylinder.
it's hard to work out the layout of your system from the pics.

is it a fully pumped system or gravity hw pumped heating ?

Is your cold feed clear?? have you vented all rads and bleed points?
Has the pic of your pump been turned or is that the orientation of the pump in your a/c

wheres that pump ? in the loft etc.

don't look like you have a vent to the cylinder.
it's hard to work out the layout of your system from the pics.

is it a fully pumped system or gravity hw pumped heating ?

not sure what fully pumped would be?

The pump itself is about 6 feet from the boiler and under the floor on the ground floor. The feeder tank is in the loft with 6 radiators on the ground floor and 4 new ones to replace the old single one on the first floor (attic is above this as in a terraced house).

I would love to explain the whole layout however I'm trying to get to grips with it myself! lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back