Boiler has trapped air? after adding 4 radiators. help pls!

do you have to have hw on to put heating on ?
is their 4 pipes out of the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
Is your cold feed clear?? have you vented all rads and bleed points?
Has the pic of your pump been turned or is that the orientation of the pump in your a/c

all rads have been bled however I dont know if I have any other areas I need to do. As far as I can tell I dont but who knows in the house ive just bought. :confused:

its just the orientation of the pic. im standing at the bottom of that pic and the pump is under the floor in front of me with the boiler 6 feet away, again in front.

Could that zone thing be the problem when I was filling the system again? If it wasnt open could air have become trapped in the boiler?

Did the system work before you carried out the work? i would twist the pump round a bit so that the pump head is horrizontal rather than vertical for a start, is that the only zone valve you have??

do you have to have hw on to put heating on ?
is their 4 pipes out of the boiler ?

yes and no.

Yes the hw needs to be on to have the heating on.

only 3 pipes to/from the boiler. 1 gas 2 water. As it leaves the boiler it runs to the pic with the pump in it. I assume the hot is the one with the pump and the return with the zone valve. After that the pipes run to all the radiators feeding hot and return sides as appropriate. I'm not sure I can follow where the pipes go to the cylinder as it goes to places that I cant get to.

Sponsored Links
Did the system work before you carried out the work? i would twist the pump round a bit so that the pump head is horrizontal rather than vertical for a start, is that the only zone valve you have??

yes. If I twist the pump round i wont be able to put the floor back I dont think. I'll check that tho.

Yes thats the only zone we have. I didnt actually realise how zone control worked (or even existed) until now. Quite interesting however thats for another day I think :)

Right the pump is actually under the floor boards, that picture is a bit confusing!!! on the zone valve there is a little lever on 1 side when the heating is on can you move the lever with no resistance?? (checking to see if valve is opening)

Right the pump is actually under the floor boards, that picture is a bit confusing!!! on the zone valve there is a little lever on 1 side when the heating is on can you move the lever with no resistance?? (checking to see if valve is opening)

Yes I can move the zone valve leaver with no resistance. How can I check if its opening?

Yes I can move the zone valve leaver with no resistance. How can I check if its opening?

no resistance then it's open.

some pics of the boiler: (all the pics need to be turned round 90d lockwise. computer is acting up now. dont think its going to be my night.)

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

is that an air vent i can see next to the boiler in pic 2 ?
check the cap is loose.

not sure what it is. I assumed it was either as you say or a pressure release valve or acts as both?

I've tried removing the small black cap altogether but couldnt hear anything coming out. I did read on another post however that this will allow air out automatically when it gets stuck. I've tried to record the sound of the boiler but cant get it off the phone as its is some wierd and wonderful format.

I'll have a look at it again to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back